STARTING PROBLEM IN WET WEATHER

I wonder if somebody can give me some advice. I have a 1970 Cadillac Sedan De Ville which runs great in all aspects except one. When the weather gets damp and chilly it won't start. It cranks hard, but the motor won't catch. I keep the gas tank close to full, and add a can of HEET to the gas tank about once every two weeks.

The last time that it wouldn't start (last week) I had the car towed to a service station. The only problem they could find was that the dwell needed to be changed. They made the change and said that the problem was fixed. But when I came out this morning, once again the motor cranked but wouldn't start.

Would anybody have any ideas what may be causing this problem and how to stop it?

Thanks!

Wayne Allen (W_ALLEN snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM)

Reply to
Wayne Allen

It's moisture in the ignition system. Probably the ignition wires have minute cracks in them allowing moisture to seep in. Other likely problem areas are the distributor cap and ignition coil. You can try spraying the ignition system components with one of the many commercial aerosol sprays sold for waterproofing ignition systems, but a permanent repair will mean replacing the parts that are absorbing the water.

Reply to
Mark Olson

When I see that, it usually means it's time for a new cap and rotor. The wires also could be leaky.

I check the wires with a spray mist bottle of water at night. I get them running and mist water on all the plug wires, if any are leaking you will see a light show.

Mike

Wayne Allen wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Most likely something in the high voltage part of the ignition system.

- coil

- rotor

- distributor cap

- ignition wires

- plugs

These are cheap and easy to replace yourself.

Less likely:

- points, if this car has them

- choke

- dwell (which was checked) and timing

Reply to
kgold

do a tune up, distributor cap, rotor button, wires, points and condenser and spray a moisture guard spray that you can get at most part stores or marine stores in the distributor cap and distributor. that used to be a common problem with low voltage point ignition systems. if you want to spend the money you could go modern and install a HEI distributor. not to hard it will just move you into latter 70's early

80's technology.
Reply to
<SHERNDON1