starts fine, except mid-day

have a 1993 isuzu V6 3.2 liter engine, car starts normally, after one or two turns in the morning

in the late afternoon, it often takes three or more attempts and even then, the initial revolutions are barely audible until the revs stabilize after 30 sec or so

have always filled at the same station, use regularly a small amount of fuel additive to keep injectors in shape (since car was new, so for 13 years)

plugged up filter? broken fuel pump? anything else to look for?

Reply to
rick

Hard to discern from your second description.

You may be looking at something compression-wise, whether it be a gasket or not. How many miles on this beast? The vehicle is 13 years old, so its got some age on the particulars, ya know?

my .02 on an insomnia night. :)

Reply to
ed

what I meant is that for the first 30 seconds (mid-day, not morning), the revs are extremely low 300-500 as opposed to the morning start when revs are normally at

1000 or higher until engine is warm and revs drop to about 850

can you elaborate? which gasket? foul plug allowing pressure to leak?

67 K, all original by me (ie. very low mileage for age)
Reply to
rick

I had the same problem once. After I was told several time that it could not be the filter because you get fuel in the morning, i ripped the damn thing out. To my amazement we found big flakes of crud in there. What happened was that the fuel pressure would release after a while of being stationary and all the flakes would fall down. Making the start up easy but once you got going under pressure the flake would shake back up into the path of the fuel. Keep in mind I was using a resevoir filter. I don't forsee the same problem for inline filters.

Reply to
steve goodsworth

wait, just checking the details to be certain: are you saying you started up fine (always) but after startup had problems keeping engine running?

if so, that's not precisely my problem as the car always runs fine once started (morning, day, night), there is no problem once engine is running

it's only a problem starting *after* the initial morning start but I don't experience run issues once it's turning over

AFAIK, the isuzu's use only inline filters and I probably should replace them just to be sure

Reply to
rick