Steel racing wheels?

We had a discussion on steel vs aluminum alloy wheels in the Subaru NG. There was one person who was adamant that typical steel wheels weighed less than typical aluminum alloy wheels and that better venting from being more open could be detrimental to braking efficiency. You can probably guess how many people thought he was right.

However - in the search, I found a few companies that make steel racing wheels. They didn't seem to be terribly expensive and some were rather lightweight. I'm wondering is their application for some racing categories where steel wheels are mandatory. It also sounds as if many of the lighter steel racing wheels probably won't be the most durable.

Reply to
y_p_w

fwiw, my 15x8 race wheels (steel) are about 20 pounds and I'd guess my

15x7 aluminum wheels were about 16 pounds.

my 17x9 alloys off my Trans Am are way lighter than my steel wheels on my race car but I've not measured them.

I'd guess lightweight steel racing wheels would be for people like me who are forced to run steel wheels according to the rules.

NASCAR Nextel Cup cars still run steel wheels and I'm sure it's more of a rules thing than anything.

Ray

Reply to
news

I think you're right, most of them are not DOT approved and are generally used only for stock car racing or dirt track racing (where being able to bend your wheels back into shape after a race is desirable.)

Bassett I think makes one line of DOT approved steel wheels if you want to compare apples to apples; ISTR that a 15x7" wheel runs about 20 lbs.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel