Steel Wheels on a Subaru

My wife inquired at the tire place about using steel wheels for her winter tires on her 2004 Outback.

They told her that Subarus are made for aluminum wheels, and don't do well with steel. This sounds like BS to me, but I haven't actually tried it so I don't know.

Is there truth to that, or were they just feeding her a load of BS to sell her more expensive wheels?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

if it's the same size tire that the vehicle calls for I don't see the problem with steel rims.. Sounds like total BS to me.

Reply to
m6onz5a

if it's the same size tire that the vehicle calls for I don't see the problem with steel rims.. Sounds like total BS to me.

Reply to
m6onz5a

My bet is that the problem is that nobody makes steel rims to fit it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Call the tire rack and ask. Kinda sounds like BS as Scoobs used to come with steel wheels from the factory. Might be able to get a snow tire/wheel package from TR for less than you would from the local place.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Tim Wescott wrote in news:K_ydnQqpoojPmtfWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com:

My guess would be that it's a stock/cost of supply/markup problem for them. Aluminum wheels selling more, perhaps costing them less and hence more return per wheel. Go elsewhere if anyone else there says the same thing or anyways. I never deal with salesman that make shit like that up on the spot.

Reply to
fred

Right. In the early days of racing they made 'mag' wheels in order to reduce the weight of the then-heavy steel stamped wheels. People wanted them for their cars, so in order to make them handle a hundred thousand miles or so of wear and tear caused the alloys to be beefed up. It wouldn't surprise me at all if an allow weighed considerably more than a modern steel wheel of the same size.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

4x140?!?!

Actually, my '97 Legacy BHG has steel wheels...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

What's the difference between a car salesman and a computer salesman? A car salesman knows when he's lying to you.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

The steels for a Legacy should fit.

However the only steel I show for the Outback are 15X6 for the spare. My book only shows alloys in the full sized version.

Hollander 68710B; Subaru-Legacy Outback Hollander 68737; Subaru-Outback/Baja/Legacy Hollander 68720; Subaru-Impreza/Outback

I show Rock Auto with refinished alloys for 150 each.

Reply to
Steve W.

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:hid63o$i7$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

A lady at work has a Subie wagon that's only two years old. She's got her snows on steel wheels. I'll ask her tomorrow where the wheels came from.

Reply to
Tegger

My guess is that your car would probably work better with the aluminum wheels if it's a lighter weight set. However, you probably won't notice any difference so you should just use your current wheels. The main reason for getting the aluminum set is that you want your car to look cooler or the tires will not fit your current ones. You'll also find more selection in non-steel wheels. Do they even make after-market steel wheels?

Reply to
dsi1

Steels are much less prone to bead leaks in winter than aluminum wheels are. I'd never pay extra for fancy wheels, but since I buy used, I seldom get a choice.

Reply to
aemeijers

Very often the aluminum alloy wheels are NOT lighter than the stamped steel wheels. I looked this up earlier and was surprised.

Reply to
hls

AZ Nomad wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net:

I don't think either would use a knowledge of the subject. However, you can have *way* more fun with the former if you do know what *you're* talking about.

Reply to
fred

I'll call bullshit on the whole "subarus are made for AL wheels" stuff.

The only advantage I see for non-steel wheels in wintertime is that the salt won't eat them up with rust. When I went to replace the wheels on my Ranger, the aftermarket AL wheels from American Racing were cheaper than or barely more than any steel wheel I could find for it.

It may not be so easy to find AL wheels as cheap for a subaru, but it's certainly worth a look.

-J

Reply to
phaeton

I can believe this. They sure look cool though. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Aluminum won't rust, but aluminum sure can pit.I once owned a 1971 Winnebago motorhome, Pits galore! I have never owned any vehicles with aluminum wheels before.Metinks I prefer steel wheels. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Aluminum alloy wheels are prone to corrosion too, and have to be maintained periodically to keep from eating them up. Aluminum has a protective outer layer of aluminum oxide which forms naturally, in a similar way that the oxide layer protects stainless steel. But in salt slush conditions, they can succumb too.

Reply to
hls

Is this a matter of a thorough cleansing, then a spray on coating once a year?

Reply to
phaeton