Still Won't Start

Switch them back. I'm not sure, but they may not be identical. (Can't find my wiring diagrams.)

Open the driver's side window and close the door; stand outside the car. Reach in and turn the key to the 'on' position. You should hear a one- or two-second "skkkkkkkk" from the rear of the car if the fuel pump is running.

P.S. Set your computer's clock correctly. I'm replying to your message eight and a half hours before you sent it.

Reply to
Clifton T. Sharp Jr.

Sharon - I made a couple of suggestions for this over in the Ford forum...

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton
1988 Mercury Grand Marquis - just drove it across countries and it worked and drove like a charm!

My original problem started when I went out one morning to start the car and it was dead. Got a new battery, since it was a used car and I had no idea what shape the original was in. Still couldn't get it to crank over at all (just clicking). If I trickle charged it enough to get it going and jiggled the wires near the relay boxes (with the ignition key out), I got a clicking noise down near the starter. As if one of the relays was trying to make contact even though the car was turned off. That is why I switched out the EEC and Fuel Pump relay. I think this may have been the original problem that drained both batteries. Could be there was a short in a relay that kept it running when the engine was turned off.

In any event, I returned the new battery and got another. Came home, connected up battery, new cables, and relays properly. It still will not start. It cranks over and all accessories now light up completely, but no starting. I have never heard the fuel pump run on my car, so it is hard to figure out if it is running or not. I checked every fuse in the fuse box, none blown. I know that there are fusible links that have something to do with the fuel system, but I have no idea where they are. I am not sure if there are circuit breakers involved either.

Suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am going to the library to see if I can scrounge up a manual. I am on a VERY limited income, that is why I am driving an older car and trying to get it working myself. I am in this area, away from my mechanical friends, because my Mom is sick. I cannot afford a tow or a $62 hour mechanic. Thanks and take care, Sharon

Reply to
Sharon

NO, I didn't literally switch them between each other. I installed news ones on both the EEC and fuel pump relays.

No, can't hear it, but then again, I never heard it. It is in the gas tank and there is a shroud over the gas tank to deaden the noise. I have pretty acute hearing and I have never heard a fuel pump run on this car. Is there an easier way to check the fuel?

Here's a good one that will give you a laugh. I am a computer techie. I repair other people's computers. Just have been so stressed out with all my Mom's 'stuff' and the car that I haven't even looked at the clock on her computer. Oh, well.

Reply to
Sharon