Stolen and totaled

Since the brand of my car isn't on here, I figureed this was the best place to post my question. My car was stolen and totaled less than 100 yds from where it was stolen. I don't know how much I can get from my insurance company but I was told that it would be whatever the book value of my car was. It is a 96 Mercury Mystique that has an $80 battery, $1200 motor, and $400 brakes...all less than 3 months old. I had just gotten my car back from the shop the DAY BEFORE it was stolen and wrecked (I actually had the car less than 24 hours). What should I do as far as dealing with the insurance company? They wasted no time in calling me to find out what happened. They even took a recorded statement from me over the phone. I am only 19 and I am not quite sure what to do about all this "legal" stuff. Can anybody with experience help me or advise me as to what I should do? All help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
SCQT05

jsanders

Reply to
SCQT05

Not sure what advice you are looking for here...If you had full coverage and no lien on the title, they will pay you fair market price for the car and that's that...are you worried market value is much less than what you have in it?

That's a dilemma that happenes a lot...unfortunately a car isn't worth the sum of the parts you may have in it...it's worth what it would sell for.

You need to look in advertisements for cars of comprable make and model, equipment and mileage, and get an idea of what "average" market value for your car is...then you at least know what you want when you go to either settle on it and accept a check and hand over title, or reject their offer, and try to squeeze them for more.

Usually you will looose out in the long run if you go that route, but if you have something of exteme unusual value in the car that can't be salvaged, like a custom paint job worth thousands or something like that, occaisionally adjustments can be had...but usually if a car has extremely pricey mods, they won't cover them unless you have a seperate accessory/custom rider on the policy...

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

"SCQT05" wrote in message news:65d8641602f05@uwe...

Unfortunately, Jeff is so right in his reply below. But having been in the car business for decades, I've actually had good experiences, for the most part, when it came to dealing with adjusters in circumstances like this. Dig out your bills; find cancelled checks; write out a statement for a couple of mechanics who did the biggest work--and let them know you need this to preclude having to summons them to court: that way, they'll be happier to cooperate and sign those VERY factual statements. And remember the adjuster puts on his (her) pants much like you do. Talk to them. Plead with them. Keep cool. Don't get up tight or mad or defensive. Stick to the facts and the adjuster can more nearly identify with you. Let him feel that you are looking to him as YOUR go-between--as YOUR representative--and discuss with him what WE can do to help reach a more nearly fair settlement than a blue book might lean towards on this unusual situation. Good luck and may you make a new friend with this adjustor! Remember that he enjoys leaving a customer happy. Plus one more thing to keep in mind: often this adjustor is not employed by the ins. co. he represents. He often is like a self-employed contractor. And often the face he sees is NOT the ins. co. rep.--that part of the dealing is over the phone. The face that he definitely sees is YOURS. And you can use this personal, face-to-face situation to YOUR advantage and have him actually looking out for you!. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

The difference in the market price that you had to pay for the car or one like it and the Bluebook wholesale discount price that some of the adjustors use can be very large.

Some adjustors are human, others will try to use your age and legal mumbojumbo against you to minimize your claim.

If you are satisfied with his offer, fine.

If not, you may have to do a little research, consider an attorney, talk with the state insurance board, etc...and even then, you may not come out any better.

From what I have seen, they dont really care if you just put on new brakes, or a tuneup, or anything like that. They will quote something they believe, or try to justify, to be a car in similar condition.

I wish you well.

Reply to
<HLS