Strange Electrical Problem

My 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer has developed a very strange electrical problem. When I open the door, the radio shuts off..when I open the door again, the radio turns back on with all the settings (clock, channels) reset. Also, the rear hatch release button and the 2 dome lights do not work. All of these problems started at the same time. I replaced the door switch and the 2 dome bulbs to no avail. All the fuses are intact. My local mechanic is clueless. Any ideas out there?

Reply to
Spiderman

From the age of the vehicle you might consider the how many of times the door opened and closed. I would guess considerable. With all that opening and closing things may loosen up over time. Now with the freedom to move around it could create the opportunity where wires could develop bare wire spots from the insulation rubbing away against something.

Depending on the wire's function, it could lower the voltage to radio and other areas to stop their normal operation when it comes into contact with something it shouldn't.

Inspect the wiring harness to see if it reveals anything like that.

Reply to
Jim

I'd almost bet you're losing ground. In modern vehicles, the fact that you're screwed to metal doesn't always mean you have electrical ground.

Reply to
Clifton T. Sharp Jr.