strange internal tire wear

I was going through a pile of used tires to find one to temporarily put on the taurus until i can get the rack fixed. I found one tire off a GM product that looked OK from the outside with 60% tread or so.

I dismounted it to remount it on a Ford rim and found a surprise. There was a pile of fine shredded rubber inside the tire. ANd when i looked up to the under side of the tread, you could see the steel belts showing where the rubber flaked off .

What could cause such a tire failure? Never seen this before.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

dahpater

dahpater wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Like 5 psi.

Reply to
Tegger

What makes you think the tire failed? Was there an obvious blowout?

Reply to
Jeff

I got the tire mounted on a GM wheel and it was holding air. After i dismounted it, i found the considerable pile of fine rubber shavings inside of it and noticed the steel belts showing from the inside.

If you call holding air ok, then it was not failed. But it looked like a disaster waiting to happen to me. I have never seen a pile of shredded rubber on the inside of a tire before. Even if it held air, i probably did not do tire balance any good either.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Reply to
Steve W.

Several months after buying a new set of tires, my wife had one go flat on a trip. I took it into the shop to get it repaired after getting her on the way with her spare.

We found the same thing inside. The dealer told me that it was caused by running nearly flat for an extended period of time. She noticed nothing. I check pressure once a month and run about 3 psi over the car placard. This is the 1st time I've seen anything like it. I hope it was the last.

Aside, these were premium tires, and all 4 were from the same lot.

Reply to
GeorgeB

Running it flat.... There was a reason it was in the pile of junked tires, after all.

Reply to
Steve

I used to run a wheel refinishing shop. I had two wheels with tires come in for leak repair within a short time of each other. One tire had a large amount of crumbled rubber inside it, severe wear on the outside sidewall and clearly had been run flat for some time. The other tire had a smaller but still significant amount of rubber crumbs inside, but the outside was hardly marked at all. If you saw the tire, you would say that it had brushed against a curb while parking (unless you happened to notice that it went all the way around the tire).

As an aside, I am amazed how low tire pressure has to be before the tire is obviously flat. Even 15 psi will just look soft. Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

GeorgeB (I_Hate snipped-for-privacy@att.net) writes:

Reply to
Dan Beaton