Strange Noise

Hi.

We have a 2001 Hyundai Accent GS automobile that's making a strange noise. The noise sounds like a metallic clicking or rattling (not quite sure how to describe it) and it occurs intermittently -- sometimes while shifting gears and sometimes while just driving.

I tried to record the sound using a tape recorder but the recording didn't come out very well:

It's got a lot of interference in there but that's the best I could do. (I think the microphone doesn't record well and I had to amplify the thing quite a bit). If you can hear a clicking-type sound there that's the noise. What do you think would be causing this? Is this a very big problem?

Reply to
mike3

clicking noises could be a bad drive axle. Does it do it more when you make a turn? check the axle boots for any cracks or rips.

Reply to
m6onz5a

It does seem to do it more when turns are made. So it could be an axle problem then? We'll check it out.

Reply to
mike3

If it is clicking on turns, then, yes, that is one of the symptoms of halfshaft problems.

An acquaintance here took her car to WalMart, who told her that she needed new axles,and that they were ONLY available new from Hyundai. Over $500/

Not true. Guaranteed rebuilt axles are available for most of these cars for less than $100 each.

You need to have someone technically competent to diagnose your problem. I did NOT say "dealership"

Reply to
HLS

Most driver axles at my work cost under $70 New, You should be able to get them at any real auto parts store. I'd stay from Advance & Auto Zone IMO.

Also just because the axle is ticking doesn't mean it's going to fall off. I've driven cars with bad axles for a couple of years, but it should be replaced.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Good stuff except with the part about it might last a couple of years. It's miles that are the concern and how many of them before you started hearing it. It's going, if it's the axles, and nobody can really tell you when. So they need to be replaced ASAP. You can do only one, IMHO, but be ready to do the other sometime soon. So it's maybe better to do both together. I'm not really a FWD guy but have had many friends call me in the middle of the night saying there car runs but will not move. I tell them the only one can help them comes with a tow truck because when even only one side breaks the car will not move. Axles will usually break when going around a corner on a dark deserted road. Carry your cell phone and have some #'s for tow companies in your area.

disston

Reply to
disston

Isn't that true of a RWD car as well: if one of the drive shafts / half-axles fails, the action of the differential (unless it is limited slip*) will mean that no power will be transmitted to the other good shaft. It makes no difference whether the differential and drive shafts are driving the front or the rear wheels.

OK, so FWD has the added complication of universal joints to allow the wheels to steer.

  • And total lack of one axle may defeat even a limited slip differential ;-)
Reply to
Mortimer

Frankly, I'm surprised at anyone who has had "many friends call in the middle of the night" with this problem. It's not a common problem.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

So you think it's the axles, then, not something else? Because there are some times it makes the sound when shifting gears. I'm just wondering about that.

And what did you think of the recording, anyway?

Reply to
mike3

All depends on who your friends are... :-)

Reply to
Matt Whiting

The recording sounds like electronic garbage to me. If it's that high pitch squeaking sound I have no idea unless your brake pad squealer is making that noise.

Reply to
m6onz5a

I couldnt make anything helpful out of the recording. Whether your noise has anything to do with the CV joints is not supported by the recording, unfortunately.

Reply to
HLS