Strange turn signal problem

2000 Grand Am 3.4 V-6

Strange turn signal problem. Sometimes the turn signals work and sometimes they don't. Got in the car the other day and I had no turn signals (either side). Nothing I could do would make them work. Thought it might be the fuse, but it was fine. When I restarted the car they were working fine and I thought it was just a one-time glitch. Then after another start they were out a again and I tried playing with the lever thinking it might be the strike plate inside the column wearing out but nothing I could do would make them work even once. Next start of the vehicle they were working fine again and nothing I could do during this start/run would make them not work. Next start of the vehicle they were not working again...and ....nothing I could do during this start/run would make them work. Etc etc etc.

So it's not a fuse. It's not a worn stike plate because I would be able to make it work sometimes during any start. All the bulbs seem to be working but could one just be flakely enough to cause this to happen?

Stumped!

MB

Reply to
MAB

Monitor the voltage to the Turn Signal Relay. The supply voltage that energizes it. You could have an intermittent to there. Cause? First find out which side of the turn signal relay the problem is on: output to bulb side? or input to relay side.

Use a dvm and some clip-on leads or somesuch.

In fact, your turn signal relay might have come lose! check that it has clean terminals and is tight in a corrosion-free socket.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

2000 Grand Am 3.4 V-6

im not sure were exactly it is on this vehicle but your probably looking at a bad flasher. once you find it turn on your key signal either way and tap on the flasher if it works your going to have to replace it. if not good luck. oh and the flasher may be around the fuse box or under the dash somewere.

Reply to
Denizli

Forgot about the round flashers! You're right because if they don't want to work they stay in "open" mode and you have no signal. I had this problem about 15-18 years ago and haven't had it since. What I mean is that I had to replace a flasher, just not sure what the problem was back then but was probably the same. I do remember replacing one in another car.

Thanks I'll check that first.

MB

Reply to
MAB