Stripped caliper bolt

I've got a caliper bolt that's stripped and won't come off the front passenger side of a 99 Ford Taurus. I've tried vice grips but the head of the bolt is stripped so badly the grips roll right off once I try to turn them. It isn't one of the bigger mounting bolts, it's the lower one of the smaller pin bolts (I guess they're called).

Any advice?

Reply to
Jackson Wallace

Good penetrating oil on the threads put on several times over several hours.

A sharp hit with a heavy hammer while trying to turn it with the grips.

A dremil tool to either cut a slot in it or to flatten two sides so a wrench can maybe grab it again.

If room, plumbers pipe wrenches are like vise grips on steroids and will grab even perfectly round heads.

A dremil tool to cut the head off if all else fails so the caliper can be removed, then use the pipe wrench to remove the stub.

A torch on the threads or anchor plate if you have place to use it. then an impact and grips.

Good luck!

Mike

Jacks>

Reply to
Mike Romain

To begin with, do you not have a proper Allen wrench? If not, use a GOOD small pair of vice grips--needs to be thinner than the bolt head so as to expose the bolt head for tapping it with a hammer--lock them onto the bolt and lightly tap on the end of the bolt head as you apply turning force with the pliers. The bolt should turn out. If all else fails, you can use a dull chisel and hammer. Drive the chisel at an angle into/onto the head of the bolt and in the direction it needs to turn. This combination of blows plus biting-and-driving force should remove it. REPLACE the bolt with a good one, in any case. If you have to go buy a tool, a proper Allen wrench is amazingly cheap & should be a lot cheaper than a (thin) pair of vice grips. You will need it for installion anyway. BTW, purchasing a good very small pair of vice grips is a worthwhile investment that you'll never regret. HTH. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

I good set of vice grips will dig in and hold this sufficiently. I did the same thing with an a-arm bushing nut and the vice grips were old and crappy, they had no teeth left at all. Got a new one of the right size and it worked like a charm.

Reply to
Glenn

I'm using a socket wrench...same thing? The sockets won't grip it.

How am I to be sure I've tightened these bolts back on tight enough? These things were on there real damn tight but I got the other three off.

Reply to
Jackson Wallace

I am assuming the bolts have an Allen head, which is an internal, hexagonal hole into which the Allen tool fits for turning. Some sockets are made as Allen tools--straight, hexagonal shaped 'rods' of various sizes.

I'm sure there is a specified torque, in ft-lbs or inch-lbs; but sounds like you may not have a torque wrench and I don't have a manual stating proper torque anyway. Not much help to you, but I've always used gut-feel from having done it so much when tightening them. Apparently, yours were seized from the years or rust and corrosion. A caution is in order: I'm sure that they can be overtightened, and you don't want to leave them too loose either. Maybe another poster will be able to help guide you on this. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

No, they aren't Allen headed.

Sounds good to me.

Reply to
Jackson Wallace

STOP NOW!! While there is still something there for a shop to work with (hoping that there is still something to work with). At first sign of these sorts of things, a good shop would weld a new purchase point on to the offending fastener. It would be allowed until cool to the touch - guarranteed to come out.

Word to the wise.... worrying at it with a vise grip until there is nothing left will only increase the cost of removing the fastener.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

Why not get it out, replace the brakes like I want to and then buy another caliper bolt?

Reply to
Jackson Wallace

Because the fiddling with getting it out may get you deeper into the chili.. If you can get it out, do so...I haven't had much luck with Visegrips. I have occasionally used a small thin pipe wrench if I can get it on the head of what I want to remove. I think it holds better IF you have enough left to bite onto and if you have room to use it.

Use a good penetrating oil.

Reply to
<HLS

first of all get a book and the right tools ? and dont forget the anti sieze all answers are good = if all fails cut it off ?

Reply to
tudysmuck

I have another question: I had to unscrew the line from the back of the caliper that delivers brake fluid to the unit, all the brake fluid leaked out.

Is there anything special that needs to be done for putting the fluid back in?

Reply to
Jackson Wallace

well only thing i can suggest is to weld a "nut" to the bolt (note this may damage the caliper) and when that is securely welded heat the other end with torch and then the bolt will come out. In other words take it to a shop cause if you didnt know this allready i am asuming that you arent experienced enough to do this yourself

Reply to
Rob

Adding more fluid and bleeding the brakes are necessary. It wouldn't be a bad idea to bleed the whole system and replace the old fluid. Likely you would run into more problems with bleeder valves on the other wheels, so precede with caution here.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Reply to
NapalmHeart

There are stud removers that may be able to get enough bite on it to remove it. If it is that bad, you may have to get a welder to weld another bolt to the end of it so you can get a wrench on it. The heat from the welder may also damage the caliper seal but, calipers are fairly cheap these days. Of course, you will new a new slider bolt.

Good luck Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Is it feasible to just put some brake fluid in the car and bring it somewhere to be bled? That seems like tedious work to say the least.

A related question:

I muscled the piston down so that I had room for the new pads. I read somewhere that one has 20 seconds or so for the piston to reset itself into the up position. However, the piston didn't return.

Does the piston return to the normal position once the brakes are pressed?

Reply to
Jackson Wallace

The stripped bolt never came out, but I managed to replace the pads anyway. Once I got the top bolt out the caliper swung outward allowing it to be taken off that way. How dangerous is driving around with the stripped bolt? I mean, that suckers in there good.

Does it NEED to come out now that I done what I needed to do anyway?

Something I've noticed during this whole ordeal:

Repair shops are horrible uncooperative with do-it-yourself'ers. Seems they don't want to tell you anything, and just want you to "bring her in" so they can "really see what needs to be done".

Reply to
Jackson Wallace

You are in trouble. You cannot drive the car without bleeding the brakes, even if you get a bit of pedal, it will not be stable and the front/rear pressure difference can fast take out the master cylinder so you will have nothing when you hit the pedal.

If you don't know how to bleed brakes, it is tow truck time...

Mike

Mike Romain

Well, I didn't know how to change the brake pads before yesterday so I guess it's time to learn how to bleed the brakes. :(

Reply to
Jackson Wallace