Stripped caliper bolt

Because you only opened the one side, sometimes you can just open the bleeder screw on that side and keep the reservoir filled up while gravity hopefully pushes the air out. Eventually only clear liquid will come out if you are very lucky.

This might give you enough pedal to get it to a garage for a proper bleed. Bleeding is a two person job. One pushes the pedal, the other is under and opens the bleeder as the pedal goes down. Then hold the pedal down and tighten the bleeder *before letting the pedal back up. Repeat many times until no air comes out while topping up the fluid.

Normally you start with the wheel farthest away from the reservoir, then work your way closer finishing with the front drivers side..

The problem is getting the bleeder screw open... You should start soaking it in penetrating oil. All the rest of them also for that matter, someone is going to have to open them. Then use a socket wrench on them.

On something rusted enough to not have a head on the caliper bolt, the odds of getting the bleeder open without snapping it are small. Then you need to change the caliper which brings you back to that bolt.....

If you have any gearhead friends, now is the time to get a case of beer and fire up the BBQ and ask nice..... It works lots of times, I had a BBQ last weekend when a few friends showed up to help me work on my Jeeps. Hey they even came back the second day for another BBQ and another fixit job.

I wish you luck.

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks, but things didn't turn out very well.

I didn't know that it was unnecessary to take the brake line off the caliper just to change the pads. So all of this was unneeded headache.

I wasn't able to remove all four bleeder screws, only two. So it looks like I'm going to have to get it towed in the morning. I was only trying to avoid some extra cost. I'm sure they won't charge much to do a bleed and make sure all the bolts on the calipers are set tight enough. I managed to change the pads and learned a few things and will forever be able to change the brakes on my car in the future.

I guess I'm an idiot for trying all of this, pretty stupid to remove the brake line.

Reply to
Jackson Wallace

Doesn't matter, you should change the brake fluid whenever you change pads or every 2 years anyway, so it should be done no matter what. No need to feel dumb.

nate

Reply to
N8N

For many years I've felt that to avoid ever making a mistake, just never do anything--but that results in probably the biggest mistake of all! Congrats on the attempt, JW. Good luck in the future. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

No, you're not an idiot for trying. You're just a beginner. If you learned something there's been a value in your efforts, even if you only learned that you don't want to do your own work. The best thing you could do would be to get some repair manuals for the vehicles you want to work on. That and find some friends that could show you hands-on stuff.

Good Luck,

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Not at all. It was kind of silly to start the project without a manual or asking someone how to do it first but you learned a lot and that knowledge will transfer to every vehicle you own.

Half of us here have learned many lessons the hard way myself included!

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

On 2005-07-10 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said: >Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech >Jackson Wallace wrote: >> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 12:57:48 -0400, Mike Romain wrote: [snip]

I got some stuck bleeders free on an old rustbucket Datsun truck by spraying them inside and out with penetrant, and after some soak time, rapping them on the end with a hammer. Once broken free, and before loosening them, blow the penetrant out of the screw inside - you don't want that petroleum material getting into the brake fluid.

Best use a box or socket wrench too, preferably a 6-point. Open-end is likely to round over the flats.

Vibration will help penetrant creep into spaces. An air hammer broke loose the swing-arm pivot shaft on a motorcycle that no amount of hammering would budge. I was chicken to try that on a bleeder screw.

Tom Willmon near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA

At a nude wedding everybody can see who the best man is.

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered

Reply to
twillmon

You never learn anything if you don't make the attempt. You for sure aren't the first to remove one thing too many.....

Mike

Mike Romain

For whatever it is worth, everybody has to start somewhere, and we have all had jobs go bad. Dont feel bad about it.

One thing I learned early on is to have the right tool for the job. Never buy cheap cast wrenches, etc. They will cost you money and get you hurt. I don't use Vicegrips very much, although they have their place.

One thing my ex father-in-law taught me was that there is never anything you can screw up so badly that it can't be fixed (except maybe a marriage).

Reply to
<HLS

If you can loosen off the bleed valves a piece of clear plastic tubing of the right size will fit over the valve. Stick the other end in a bottle of clean brake fluid.

Press the brake pedal , let it up, check the fluid in the bottle, top up as required. Make sure the master cylinder is full.

This lets one person bleed a system, one line at a time.

Your done when no bubbles appear. Two people is easier.

A pro repair shop is not in business to tell you how to do it cheaper. You can often get advise from the parts dealer (Auto zone and the like)

And they also sell the manual that will tell you NOT to take that bolt out.

Reply to
marks542004

If you are going to use this method, make sure the container you use to put the end of the hose in is clear. I usually use a clear glass jar (old mayonnaise jar,i.e.) Put enough brake fluid into the bottom of the jar to cover the end of the hose. Open the brake bleeder and pump your brakes. Make sure to check the fluid level in the master cylinder often. You will likely see a dark, nasty mess come out of the caliper. Pump enough fluid through the system until you see fresh fluid coming out.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart