Stripped Oil Pan Plug

While changing the oil on my well- used Honda Accord, I noticed that the oil pan bolt is totally stripped. I don't have time to tap/chase the threads so I need a quick fix. I heard they make tapered self- tapping oil pan repair kits. I cannot find them, though. Any ideas on where this is available? Is this a "help" part? Any pointers on the install? Sorry for so many questions but I need this car on the road tomorrow AM. This is what I get for bringing this car to a Quickie Change center during the winter months...GRRRRR Jay

Reply to
The Doctor

While changing the oil on my well- used Honda Accord, I noticed that the oil pan bolt is totally stripped. I don't have time to tap/chase the threads so I need a quick fix. I heard they make tapered self- tapping oil pan repair kits. I cannot find them, though. Any ideas on where this is available? Is this a "help" part? Any pointers on the install? Sorry for so many questions but I need this car on the road tomorrow AM. This is what I get for bringing this car to a Quickie Change center during the winter months...GRRRRR Jay

Reply to
The Doctor

If the can be saved by running a tap through them that takes just a few seconds...

Reply to
Brent

You wouldn't happen to know what size, would you? Jay

Reply to
The Doctor

measure plug bolt's threads.

Reply to
Brent

Auto parts stores, or hardware stores might have the right size tap. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Got it....thanks for the input Brent...I'll post my results. Jay.

Reply to
The Doctor

The Doctor wrote in news:bad06979-3139-4df2-a917- snipped-for-privacy@r4g2000prm.googlegroups.com:

It's a "Help" part. The "Help" section of any auto parts place will have the sort of drain plugs that which a rubber sleeve that expands when you tighten a bolt. They have different sizes.

The hole in the OEM washer is 9/16, so as long as you get something that's below that size you should be OK.

Reply to
Tegger

IIRC, they make plugs that are more or less self tapping.. At least they will clean up the threads that are there. If it is too badly screwed up, then as you say just retap.

Reply to
hls

NAPA has them

Reply to
ben91932

go to your FLAPS and get a tap (don't need a handle, you can use a small adjustable wrench if careful, although if you have a handle that is preferable,) and if that doesn't work they sell oversize plugs that will cut deeper threads for just this problem

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Fixed it.....I borrowed a tap & chased the threads (14mm) and bought a new plug from Advance Auto. Turned out it was more the plugs fault than the threads on the pan. The plug was nearly completely stripped. I cleaned up the pan threads, threw away the old plug bolt and reinstalled the new. I'm good to go! Thanks for all who chimed in! Jay

Reply to
Septo

Purchase an oversized drain plug. It'll cut new threads as you screw it in.

Stay away from those rubber plugs. They are junk.

If else fails tap it to the next larger size, or get a new oilpan.

Chas

Reply to
m6onz5a

m6onz5a wrote in news:5f22dd33-26e8-42af-b9b5- snipped-for-privacy@s18g2000vbe.googlegroups.com:

Sure are. They leak.

But Jay said, "I don't have time to tap/chase the threads so I need a quick fix." And he said, "I need this car on the road tomorrow AM."

The rubber plug was the quickest fix I could think of that didn't involve tapping.

Honda recommends a specific Time-Sert kit to repair this common problem. Cheaper than a new oil pan.

Reply to
Tegger

About a year ago, somebody posted something (I think it was in this newsgroup) about he took his vehicle to a shop for an oil change.The mechanic stuck a spark plug in the oil pan drain hole. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin