Stripping a parts car

Hi all - Just a quick question - I have a 1987 Ford Taurus, 6 cylinder

3.0 L. About six months ago a bought another car to work on for fun, a 1993 Ford Taurus, also 6 cylinder 3.0 L. I haven't had the time to do any work on it, and now I'm moving. My new place I only have room for one car and since at this point I'd only be using it for spare parts for the car I drive (the 1987), I want to strip the good parts and junk it. Despite being newer it has over 300K miles on it (the 87 only has about 100K) and the body is in about the same condition as the 1987. I just need to know what would be worthwhile to strip from it. (Please respond to the group) Thanks, Dave
Reply to
krem1234

Headlights, taillights, plastic reflectors and lenses. Power window/seat switches. Real (non-donut) spare tire.

Junkyard may not like taking a car that doesn't have that stuff, but might if the window glass is all good.

Reply to
clifto

I'm curious about the sanity of someone who buys a Taurus to work on "for fun."

Sorry, I can't say what usually fails on a Taurus save for the transmixer. That seems to be the common one.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Depends on the year & model. They had a lot of trans problems up until about 2000, IIRC. There were some issues with the OHC 3.0L engine but the old pushrod version is pretty reliable. The last 4 or 5 years they're decent, if uninspiring, transportation. Since they don't hold their value very well you can get a decent one for cheap. If you just want something to get to work & back, they're not bad...definitely not a

944 but they do the job.

I wouldn't say they're particularly fun to work on, tho, but I guess it's all relative. And I don't know how many parts the OP can use on his

87 from the 93...
Reply to
M.M.

Heh... anyone that buys a 944 to work on for fun needs his head examined as well. Drive, yes. Work on... well, they actually are pretty serviceable, but clutch and timing belt replacements are a #$^%$^%& pain in the !@#$%. Fortunately it's not like those are normal maintenance items. Oh, wait a minute...

nate

(rather be driving than wrenching...)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If your stripping parts for the 93, your choices are limited. The alternator won't fit. The starter is different. The trannie is a AXOD and not a AXode. The headlight lens are not the same. The tires and wheels will fit. some interior parts might fit. The dash is different. THe computer is different.

So, it all depends on what kind of parts you need.

(take my word for it, i have stripped many taurus for my 93)

Parts for gen2 that are always on my hit list:

Headlight lens (always get cloudy or leak and go bad) motor mounts ( i finally bought solid aftermarket ones) tires, wheels, rotors, calipers alternator radiator (just changed one i bought new to one of my cores) TFI module. CCRM module

1/2 shafts

WHat i need now:

rear bumper and tail light (rear ended last week) front bumper (previous wife incident) Back door mech. (door won't open from inside) rack ( nasty job, been avoiding it) IP lights, ( another 1/2 day project i have been avoiding)

My 93 is like a cat, its on its 8th life...... It takes hits and keeps on ticking. (200K +)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Leave the car at your old address and forget it. You will thank me years from now because you won't still be lugging around parts from this car that never seem to be what you need. I still have stuff from my 1954 Ford and a 1953 Plymouth, but not much and in those days a lot of parts were swapable. Now it's a differant ball game. Many parts will not swap ffrom one year to the very next. The best way to store used parts is on the car but many don't have room or local laws won't allow keeping junk. OK, if there are any good tires, good, as in much tread left, keep some or all of the tires. Then you have the problem how to get it out of the yard. A lot of junk collectors will not be sending a flat bed to get it so find out. Tell them you want the tires, whatever, it's turning into more of a head ache than it's worth. Believe me.

disston

Reply to
disston

I guess my first question is what do you plan on doing with the parts once they are stripped.

Are the stripped parts to be used as substitutes on your 1987? If so you should check which parts can be swapped.

Or are you planning to sell them on Ebay. If you are planning on selling them you might want to look into whether there is much demand for parts from a 1993 Taurus and what prices they bring.

I don't know much about Taurus cars, but my sense is that you do not have a gold mine in resales here. If it were me I would probably call the junk yard and have them tow it. Or sell it complete on Craigslist as a parts car.

Reply to
John S.

Depends.

Are you looking to sell the parts off it? If so, find a junkyard price list and sell the expensive parts. Are you looking to stock the most commonly failed parts? Are you looking for the weird stuff that's dealer only and you can't find at parts places?

If it was my car I was stripping to shred, I'd save the electronics/electrical - power window motors, taillights, computer, etc. I'd then find out the stuff that commonly fails on Tauruses and keep that. Unless I needed the motor and trans I'd probably sell it with it or separately. I wouldn't bother keeping the glass - side glass is cheap, front and rear glass is almost impossible to get out without busting it, and a pain to store. I also wouldn't bother with stuff like brake linings and tie rod ends, but I would consider the drums and steering rack.

It all depends on how much crap you want lying around. I have a dirt track Camaro and the collection of spare/blowed up motors, transmissions, rear ends, spindles, etc... takes up a whole shed. I have an 80 Trans Am that was purchased as a project car that's been cannibalized for parts for the race car. OTOH, my old Jimmy got parted out for about a year before giving away what was left. But, I have a big yard, a tall fence, and live in an area that's tolerant of project cars.

Ray

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Hi - Thanks for the advice so far. I'd be stripping the parts to have around for my 87 Taurus. The transmission came to mind first, since the one on my 87 doesn't sound that great and the 93 has one that was remanufactured by ford and sounds really fine when shifting. But as someone mentioned it's a different type. Even so it's not a huge deal as the 93 cost me about $125, though I'd like to salvage anything worthwhile.

Reply to
krem1234

headlights and tail lights were changed in 1992.

so, those will not work on the 1987.

I had a 1991, bought it for $900, had a receipt that transmission was replaced. drove it 8 months, with no problems

sold it a year ago for 1200............ its now getting thrashed as a pizza delivery car.

Reply to
Mark