stupid little part...

does ANYONE know where I can get a banjo fitting for the inlet of a Carter AFB that has an inverted flare (5/16" or 3/8") rather than a 3/8" hose barb? Trying to neaten up my underhood, but there seem to be only two options, either to buy the really expensive line from Russell with AN fittings, or else use the hose barb.

thanks...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

tenth, eleventh and twelfth items down.

IIRC all carter 4 bbls and Edelbrocks use a 5/8-20 fuel inlet.

pick the part number that suits you best and order from Jeg's or Summit

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Earl's has it.

Chas Hurst

good try, but #8089 has a hose barb on it... right now i'm using #8090 with a steel line bent 90 degrees right out of the carb, but it gets awful close to the air cleaner...

...or do I have to buy yet ANOTHER set of flaring tools so I can mate my hard lines to AN fittings?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

No, it's not "right", but for low pressure applications (under say 100 PSI) you can get away with mating an SAE 45 degree flare (fully formed flare not a "bubble" flare) to a 37 degree AN or JIC fitting, as long as the flare isn't taken apart a bunch of times. The SAE double flare seals with crush of the flared material, so if you use it judiciously it will work OK. For best results, use a single 37 degree flare with the correct AN sleeve and tube nut (two pieces). Here again, in a pinch you can get away with using a

45 degree flaring tool and not fully forming the flare, as you assemble it the first time the flare conforms to the 37 degrees of the fittings. Single flare is appropriate in this case, not double, due to the design of the separate sleeve and tube nut - the flare does not crush to seal the way an SAE flare does.

Now, I wouldn't do this for brake lines but I have pulled apart factory assembled race cars that did exactly the first thing - 45 degree double to AN - on brake and clutch lines of Formula Fords.

If you're going to make a lot of AN hard lines in small diameters, you should get a 37 degree flaring tool. Above about -6 you can use weld-on fittings on either steel or aluminium hard line, depending on what you are doing. I used to use hard lines for brakes a lot, but they are such a pain when you take the car apart that I have broken down and gone to steel braided flex line.

Brian

Brian

Reply to
Brian