Subaru headgasket question

If the headgaskets are in fact blown, would the auto (96 OBW w/178 k miles) overheat when reving at 4k with the AC on? I just had my running like that (not in "drive") and the temp gauge was at the 7 o'clock position.

If the HG are in fact blown, what can I expect to get for such a car with only typical parking lot dings and such? Although the car is in great shape I don't know if it is worth repairing and thought I'd sell it to "Car Cash" or on ebay. On that note, what is it worth?

As always, thanks to all. Ric

Reply to
rajp

A blown head gasket may be the cause of overheating. It could of course be other things too, like a nonfunctioning thermostat, fans, etc.

If you start the car cold with the radiator cap off, does it belch or bubble as it runs? This is an indication of leak from the combustion chambers into the water jacket.

Were the fans operating when you did your assessment of the temperature?

I tried to check the value at

but dont really know what a 96 OBW is. I suspected it might be Outback Wagon, but didnt find them earlier than

2000.

At any rate, with that mileage and with an engine problem, you aren't looking at much value. Likely less than $500, at a wild guess.

Reply to
<HLS

Were the fans operating when you did your assessment of the temperature?

Yes. the fans were operation. Thanks for you time and response. Ric

Reply to
rajp

The fans were operating. Thanks for the time and response. Ric

Reply to
rajp

Okay, then check to be sure the thermostat is opening. Also check to see if the radiator is blocked, as with grass clippings, leaves, waste paper, etc.

If you have good fan operation, a free radiator (inside and out), a functioning water pump, and a functioning thermostat, then you have to start looking at internal engine issues.

Reply to
<HLS

Have you done a compression test, vaccumm test or a leak down test? this will tell you the condition of the top end and if you have a blown head gasket. Any water in oil? Is it milky, and smoke coming form exhust? Any visible leaks underneath the car? Water pump working (Not leaking or the bearing is not making a whinning sound) and the themostate opening? Water jackets leaking? Any of these questions should be considered when trying to trobleshoot an overheating problem.

Reply to
Garry

Have you done a compression test, vaccumm test or a leak down test? this will tell you the condition of the top end and if you have a blown head gasket. Any water in oil? Is it milky, and smoke coming form exhust? Any visible leaks underneath the car? Water pump working (Not leaking or the bearing is not making a whinning sound) and the themostate opening? Water jackets leaking? Any of these questions should be considered when trying to trobleshoot an overheating problem.

Reply to
Garry

Please let us know what you find, rajp. Feedback on issues like this help us all.

Reply to
<HLS