Subaru Wont Start after timing belt replacement

I have a 94 Subaru Legacy. 2.2 liter The timing belt broke. I replaced it. I lined up marks and counted teeth. I put it back together. It wont start. I checked compression. 150 pounds on all cylinders. I put on a timing light. It is firing about 90 degrees before tdc! What the heck. I double checked the timing belt and everything lines up. With that much compression the belt must be on right. What about crank and camshaft sensors? Would they produce this kind of symptom? I thought they mostly worked or no spark. I don't have a clue.

Thanks,

Reply to
Llew.Williams

I don't know about Subarus but it sounds like something is out of sync, probably the distributor if you have one. On my old Chrsler 2.2, there were three things that needed to be in synch - distributor, cam and crank. I completely forgot about one of them and no wonder it didn't start!

Reply to
Bob M.

Sounds like the cam gear is off.

did you align the gears both pointing up or at each other?

did you double check @ TDC # 1 with the distributor?

Reply to
Josh Assing

If you look at a manual, I think you'll find that one cam points up and one points down.

Reply to
dahpater

THE ANSWER:

The crank sprocket has TWO timing marks on it. I was using the front mark. There is another mark in the back near the block. That is the one to use for the belt timing. I lined that one up and it is running. I discovered that AutoZone has an online section where you can view a kind of shop manual online. That is where I found out about the timing mark on the BACK of the sprocket. Very nice.

Reply to
Llew.Williams