Subzero: engine noise.

When it gets below 5 degrees F, my engine is noisier when first started, lasts for a few min. I notice the noise is louder when I turn steering wheel (power steering is engaged). Its a low key whining sound.

What am I hearing? Is the power steering belt making the sound? (Doesn't sound like the normal high pitch squeal of a loose belt) Or is it the pump itself? Is that normal? Should i suspect water in the PS fluid?

Is it normal for this type of engine to make more noise (in very cold weather) when first started?

Vehicle is 1987 Lincoln Towncar. 5 litre V8.

Reply to
Bailey B

sounds like your power steering pump is making noise.. Double check the fluid level and if it's dirty or not too. It's probably just the cold causing this I wouldnt' worry about it unless it won't stop or the steering wheel begins to feel jerky.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Probably the case, but other belts can be noisy too when it gets too far below zero. -23 here this morning, but fortunately don't have to go anywhere.

In addition to belt noise, I get some piston slap, a lot of valve noise, etc. in this kind of weather. My alternator bearings squeal a bit too. But yeah, steering belt is main noise I get for about a minute.

I also get a lot of noise when I start driving! The snow and ice packs up in wheel wells and on rocker panels. Icicles drip from car unto garage floor. You can hear them break and drag in snow piles when I back down drive. As I drive away, every time I hit a bump, there is a loud thump while tire beats its way into builtup snow in wheel well. Oh well, Minnesota in the wintertime.

Reply to
Don Stauffer