SUCCESS IN REMOVING PULLEY!

Thanks to the suggestions here and me following one to get a pulley puller from Harbor Freight, the pulley is now off of the shaft.

MANOHMAN! What a job. I had a 2.5 foot cheater on the wrench to the puller and is was very hard to turn.

That is just too doggone tight!

I like this puller so much that I am going to get a spare.

Thanks, all.

j/b

Reply to
justme

If you had bought a good one, it would last forever. Don't need a spare. Prolly a better idea to use that money for the next special tool you need. Don't replace the one you bought till it brakes. This comes up all the time, we use and need many, many special tools. Sometimes there is a work around but you will be suprised at how a tool collection grows once you get interested in this and you have made a good beginning.

We should do a thread on starting a basic tool collection. And depending on what you plan to tackle what to use for differant jobs.

disston

Reply to
disston

Disston, who knows, this may be a good one and will last forever.

However, it is so handy and cheap that I prefer to buy a spare as insurance.

I don't believe in tool snobbery. I have had very good luck with Harbor Freight tools. They are not the very best but with some exceptions, they have served me very well. Besides all of that, I have a huge assortment of tools that enable me to do many things that I would not otherwise be able to afford.

Thanks for your opinion.

j/b

Reply to
justme

Every product I bought from Harbor Freight has broken in some way that left me injured.

I'm sorry, I just can't afford the medical bills.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

te:

I don't think I'm a snob just because I think the chrome on a Snap On wrench will last longer and the steel used in an OTC tool will last longer and and the fit of my tools is correct. See I have some HF tools. I've watched very closly the quality of stuff comeing out of China. It is good. Why? Because they make most of it on American machines that our tool manufacturers sold to them so they could have a higher quarter end profit. This is the way it is going and they will win. We make fewer and fewer things in the good ole' US of A all the time. So I buy what I think is right and spend my money at the neighbourhood hardware store and the Mom and Pop parts store. But hard as I try I find myself in Walley World and the Supermarket Parts store like everybody else.

This job of yours involved the removal of the pulley on a power steering pump. The best advice you got was to get the Snap On or OTC tool and you choose to buy the cheaper import one. So now the job is done and that tool worked. We, mechanics, who answered your question, know what that tool is and we know why we prefer the professional tool for this operation. If you don't want good advice why bother to ask. Or in the future please preface your queiry with something like "only interested in bottom line, no matter how many eyes or fingers I have to loose". Or the next time take the damn thing apart with an oxyacetalene torch. I'll come over and watch.

OK? Allright I'll cool down a little.

Myself, I've been at this since my first car. It was a 1963 Triumph Herald. I owned it in 1965. Newest car I ever owned in my life. BTW, I'm 61 years old. Many of the guys here are older and much more expirienced than me. I actually call myself a shade tree mechanic. So don't think I don't know some shortcuts.

It's not nice to insult a man's tools.

disston

Reply to
disston

Well he asked so he could get the job done. If he used a 30" cheater bar and still had to use all his might he gave the tool he owns a pretty good quality control test.

-jim

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

jim

I was thinking the same thing. He must have gotten a good one!

On the topic of tool collections and brand choice - The argument I have always heard from pros is that it's costly to them when a tool breaks. They are losing money while they replace the tool or use a "not-quite-right-for-the-job" tool. Weekenders like me are inconvenienced having to replace a tool, but we don't lose half a day's pay.

The injury aspect is also valid. If I was the OP, cranking that HF puller with a big cheater, I would have been wearing a full face shield and kevlar vest and I'd have sent the wife and kids to the next county. It's pretty amazing that it held up. I would have been sure that even if the jaws held together, the threads would have failed somewhere. Remarkable!

That said, budget-minded weekenders can make strategic choices. I have Craftsman sockets etc, but a Snap-On torque wrench. I have a $14 HF air cut-off tool, but a Chicago Pneumatic impact wrench etc. etc.

Don't buy cheap jack stands!!!!

Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

Maybe. I'd like to know what shape the screw threads are in. Cheaply made stuff stretches threads and won't last long. If it still turns by hand it's probably ok.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Yeah, that's usually where the cheap ones fail.

Reply to
tom_murphy

It's clear we have some opinionated people here...at least about tools. A good place for a question then:

In the mid-90s I knew that Snap-On jacks were made by Lincoln, in the USA. I ended up getting one of these (a blue Lincoln, not a red Snap0on) in '93...but I forget how much $$. $250 or thereabouts.

It is a fantastic jack, especially for lowered Datsun 510 and Camaro roadrace cars. Low profile, and you could raise the handle 1/8" up (hitting the bottom of your car) and still get a bit of stroke out of the piston.

Mine was stolen recently. From what I can tell, the jack I bought is no longer made near Chicago, but in China.

What can I get to replace it, and for how much $$?

--Ken

Reply to
dye

Whenever I use a puller I aways first put some oil om the threads. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Besides that Harbor Freight replaces hand tools for life. I just replaced a pickle fork that broke, for free

Reply to
anniejrs

I didn't know that about HF, free replacement. But it's a hassle and I've rarely used such features of any company. Turned in a Snap On breaker bar that they said was over 50 years old. It broke at the hinge and worked for years with welded tip. When it broke the second time I got a new, modern one.

If you turn in a Craftsman ratchet they give you a cheaper, ugly copy.

Gotta sign out but will be back shortly.

disston

Reply to
disston

Disston,

You surely are a delicate flower; I didn't call you a tool snob. I merely stated that I don't believe in tool snobbery where the snob puts other tools down unless he owns them.

I never asked for a brand name. I merely asked what tool is required to remove this pulley. That you got your little feelings hurt because I didn't rush out and buy a SnapOn, is indicitive of your sensitivities.

Your age has nothing to do with this. Matter of fact, I am older by 7 years than you and have built up several race engines but I have never removed a pulley like this.

I have some very nice tools, even SnapOn but I am not blind to the fact that H.F. has some good tools, too.

Anyway, the puller still spins freely on the threaded shaft after the cheater bar so, it is evidently still in good shape.

j/b

[...]

That is a nice garage that guy in Ireland has, he is building another garage too. There is something at the website about Toptul tools,made in Taiwan. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin