Sudden Battery Death

My GF has a 2001 Mitsubishi Galante. When she started the car this morning, all was well. (She claims there was no sluggish engine turnover, display dimming, etc.) 10 minutes later the battery would not start the car although the display was illuminated and audible signals seemed OK. A shunt test showed little life. Generator was OK. No short was found. The battery was replaced and all has been fine. My question: What would cause a battery to go bad so fast? I have never seen this. Many thanks! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Internal deteriation can cause instant failure. I once had the top blow off a battery when the starter was hit. Batteries have a corrosive interior and can fail at any point. The only solution is to replace them...

Reply to
BillW

My 99 Galant ES V6 came with a total piece of crap battery that failed in 2 years. They're good cars, but their factory batteries are junk.

Good luck, - Jeff G

frank1492 wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Gross

Thanks to both. The Mitsubishi comments hit the mark!

Reply to
frank1492

A 12 volt car battery is six 2 volt cells hooked together by internal bonds. One cell bond fails, and the battery is history.

I have had two batteries fail this way. They both were working fine, then you go to start the car and then virtually nothing. Maybe a little dash light, but No starter action. Both were in the summer when it was hot.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

Not common but it does happen. I've seen them bad right out of the box.

Reply to
D F Bonnett

Not that uncommon. I've had sudden failure happen several times (3 times in recent memory). I've even had it where I drove the car with no problem, the next day there was nothing.. Jumped it to go to store and parked so that I could push start (this was a standard transmission and I was in college so pushing was not a problem), went to leave an it started strong. Parked and tried to restart immediately and nothing ... no dome light or anything. The last 2 failures occured after driving for 30+ minutes (car started strong, no drag or dimming of dash lights or anything) stopped for 10 minutes or so (last time to get gas) and just a click when I went to restart.......... i.e., common experience for me..

bb

Reply to
bobby