Suggestion to pump gasoline from one car to another in a garage

If I remember correctly, back in the 70's during the Arab oil embargo, the Alabama State Troopers had the patrol cars modified to dispense some fuel for stranded motorists who ran out of gas on the Interstate. The announcement included a statement that the measure was not meant to get you to your travel destination but to get you safely off the highway and to a gas station.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

line.http://www.diesel-max.com/my_files/images/quick-connect_fitting_400x3.. .

Tabs

re: "Jumpering two terminals on the fuel pump relay will allow the pump to run continuously (as it does on most applications while the engine is running)"

********************* Once the supply line is removed from the fuel rail, the engine is starved for fuel and won't run. No additonal hardware (such as a tap) is required. *********************
********************* Should it not have been clear, the pump relay is actually first removed, then the socket terminals (often 3 & 5) are jumpered. I KNOW, I've performed this procedure an untold number of times. Kindly inform me should you require additional spoon-feeding. *********************

BTW...You might want to consider opening the garage door also.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

Gas transfer + water heater = disaster. Gas up both cars yourself or grow a pair... ;)

Reply to
ben91932

Perchance you missed the fact that I was being facetious.

Whoosh!

Is that the sound of a joke going over someone's head or the sound of gas fumes igniting in a garage?

I wonder....

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: "...Alabama State Troopers had the patrol cars modified to dispense some fuel for stranded motorists who ran out of gas..."

Maybe "modified" meant opening the trunk and placing one of those red gas cans inside.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

William Brammer wrote in news:hi4p9n$m4t$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Well you never said that before.

How about getting her a prepaid gift card for the cheapie station?

Reply to
Tegger

William Brammer wrote in news:hi4p6p$m4c$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

So you're going to do all this to save 20 cents per gallon?

At 15 gallons per week, you're potentially saving...three dollars.

That's $12 per month.

Unless you're /really/ stuck for cash, is it even worth it?

Reply to
Tegger

"Master Betty" wrote in news:hi4vau$n4l$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

He's going to save three dollars a week doing what he wants to do.

Reply to
Tegger

line.http://www.diesel-max.com/my_files/images/quick-connect_fitting_400x3.. > .

Perchance you missed the fact that I was being facetious.

Whoosh!

Is that the sound of a joke going over someone's head or the sound of gas fumes igniting in a garage?

I wonder.... =====================================

Given your emphasis to simply "start" the car and the taking to task of my suggestion to jumper the relay with your "Let us know how the ECM deals with that!" statement, you'll surely understand if I put no stock whatsoever in either your "yea, that's the ticket" latter day claim of facetiousness or your followup insulting pretentious superciliousness.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

.

=============

re: "...I put no stock whatsoever in ... your "yea, that's the ticket" latter day claim..."

Ya know, I'm OK with that.

I know when I'm making a funny and that's really all that matters, at least to me.

There is no possible way for me to convince you otherwise, even if I say "Really I was...*really!*" so we'll just let this slide with you thinking what you're going to think and me knowing the truth.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

line.http://www.diesel-max.com/my_files/images/quick-connect_fitting_400x3.. >

re: "...I put no stock whatsoever in ... your "yea, that's the ticket" latter day claim..."

Ya know, I'm OK with that.

I know when I'm making a funny and that's really all that matters, at least to me.

There is no possible way for me to convince you otherwise, even if I say "Really I was...*really!*" so we'll just let this slide with you thinking what you're going to think and me knowing the truth.

--------------------------------------------- An intended comedic retort that requires an explanation totally fails as an attempt at humor.

Next.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

==============

Let it slide, my friend, let it slide. It's really not worth getting all lathered up over something so trivial as a missed joke.

You've made valid points regarding relay terminals and nylon quick disconnect inserts and the gallons per hour delivered by a specific Bosch pump. We get it...you know what you're talking about.

I'll tell you what. The next time I respond in a thread that you are participating in, I'll be sure to use ;-) and :-o and :-( etc. so that you'll be able to determine whether I was trying to be humorous or not. I certainly wouldn't want you to miss the chance to chuckle at my jocularity.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That'd probably be more of a "whummmmmph"...

Reply to
Jules

re: "whummmmmph"

True dat!

I went on a cabin-building camping trip many years ago. One night we piled up a lot of the scrap wood for a bonfire.

Unbeknownst to us, one of the campers - an adult! - poured gasoline around the base of the pile to help it get started. The pile was big enough that by the time he walked all the way around it, put down the gas can and grabbed his lighter, the fumes had spread out into a fairly large circle.

I was almost a quarter of a mile from the fire but I still heard the "whummmmmph" ... and then all the yelling/screaming.

My 2 daughters, 3 and 4 at the time, were sitting on the lap of their

16 YO cousin near the pile. He saw the ball of flames heading his way and flipped sideways out of the chair, landing facedown with my daughters underneath him. The flames singed the back of his hair as they swept over them. The girls were scared but totally unharmed. I cooked that kid a huge breakfast the next morning!
Reply to
DerbyDad03

Perhaps it is best to let her continue buying the higher price gas for her car and,,,,, be happy.

Never argue with a woman! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

My suggestion is that you buy 2 cars that are identical in every way and switch them while the little lady is sleeping. You'll have to 'esplain why her car never needs any gas and why your car needs constant refilling but I'm sure you'll come up with something. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

When I was a kid, I lit some gasonline in the garage. It caught fire, made a yellow flame, then extinguished itself.

I really didn't see that the big deal was.

So, I make a bigger pile of gas, lit it, and although the flame got a little higher (maybe a foot or two), it was still fairly unremarkable.

Undaunted, I made an even bigger pile of gas. Unfortunately, I realized I needed more matches, so I left my pile of gas on the floor and went into the house to get more matches.

When I came back out and lit the gas, I finally understood what the big deal was about gasoline, and more importantly, gasoline vapors.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Do the math- unless she is going to a station that caters to seniors and is still full-serve, the hi-lo split is seldom more than ten cents per gallon. How far out of your way do you go to get to the cheap station? How far would she have to go, compared to the streets she usually drives? It costs about 30 cents a mile to drive a car. What is your time worth? If her buying the fancy stuff bugs you that much, get up early on Sat, and take her car down to the corner and fill it yourself. Modern cars usually have anti-siphon flaps in the filler neck, so unless you buy a farmer-style transfer pump, there is no cheap way to do what you want to do.

If that is the most extravagant/annoying thing she does, count your blessings. Remember, most women prefer going to 'nice' places, even gas stations. She may simply find the cheap place to be nasty.

Reply to
aemeijers

Back in mechanical fuel pump days, lotsa sheriff and state cop cars in Indiana had a setup like that, for helping stranded motorists out in the boonies. A tee, a valve, and about ten feet of fuel line coiled up on the fender liner. (First seen when I was a little kid wandering by the gas station, and a state cop was filling up and looking under the hood. Of course I went and looked, and the cop indulged my curiosity.)

Reply to
aemeijers

Nope, it actually pumped fuel from the patrol car's tank. I could research it or find a crusty old trooper and ask him. The brain cells carrying that memory could be rusty and leaking.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas