Suggestions for practical "kill switch" installation in a newerToyota SUV ?

Suggestions for practical "kill switch" in install in 2006 Toyota

4runner ?

Back when I was working so hard to have my Mom not be driving (at 88 years and no valid drivers license for a year) - I received suggestions to install a simple (or even not so simple) "kill switch"

Obviously, I could disconnect a fuse or electrical relay under the hood, but there might be an easier way to have something out of the usual installed inside the passenger area.

The 2006 Toyota 4runner does require that one use a factory ignition key to start the car, but I would not be surprised if thieves have

Also, significantly, I would not want to totally kill the power / battery every time I stop in an undesirable area. I expect that I would have to reset some system elements as one would have to do after changing the battery.

Anyway, it might be the case that the neighborhood mechanic could put in a kill switch in a location which is not assumed by or already mastered by thieves.

Suggestions - workable ?

Thanks

Reply to
Barry

On the Fieros, we used to wire the electric fuel pump lead to the cigarette lighter, and use a shorted lighter plug to make the circuit. When we left the car, we could just put the lighter in our pocket. No circuit, no start or run. That stymied a lot of bucket seat thieves.

You could as easily put a switch in the electric fuel pump lead, if your particular car has one.

Reply to
<HLS

Since your Toyata is fuel infected you can use the fuel pump terminals - I'd cut a break in the ground wire that goes to the pump. If you make a break in the hot wire, and later on the wire insulator melts for some reason or another, grounds out to the frame - you'll find yourself in a mess!!

Put the keyed switch in the door jam!

Reply to
Daryl Bryant

These are good ideas. I guess going to local shops and inquiring what they might suggest is one way to approach it. Then evaluating or sorting through the approaches - and / or bringing them back to this forum might be a good idea ....

Reply to
Barry

I had one going to the ignition coil power source, but then I heard stories of kill switches failing during driving. So now I use one wired into the starter relay. That way it doesn't matter if it fails during driving.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly