Suggestions from your experience organizing metric & english combination box/open end wrench sets?

Make your own. I made up one out of light plywood. I used a scroll saw to cut a sawtooth profile than laid the pieces down with some glue and small nails.

Used a wood burner to mark each wing with the size.

Reply to
Steve W.

Two nails close together such that the wrench-end doesn't fall though, I'd assume (I remember my dad always used to store chisels and screwdrivers like that)

Whatever I do seems to be doomed because I end up with stuff split between garage / workshop / house / car... I really need four sets of everything :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I keep a few sets of tools. Good tools in the garage and shop. A cheap set of tools in the house and car. I figure that a cheap set in the car may get used once in an emergency situation, as such it doesn't need to be a high end set with all the polish. The set in the house doesn't have a lot of extra stuff, just tools that would be used in the house.

Now the Garage and shop tools, those are high end stuff. The shop is mainly Snap-On, SK and OLD Proto. The garage set is MAC and Snap-On.

Reply to
Steve W.

I spray painted my metrics. It makes things a little bit simpler.

Reply to
HeyBub

There are magnetic arm bands you can buy.I saw them on Cool Tools/DIY tv channel.You can wear some of your tools on your arm(s) when you are working on something. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

To close the loop, I organized all my wrenches.

Fortuitously, I was working on the bicycle, replacing tubes, when I hit upon the idea of slicing the rubber tire tube in various ways to make wonderfully strong straps and rubber bands.

Then, I piled up a set of 5 to 8 wrenches (depending on physical size) and banded them together in the drawer, with a stiff piece of cardboard keeping them lined up (banding the cardboard with the wrenches).

I put all the combination wrenches in a band (box on one side, open end on the other); I put all the double-open-end wrenches in another band; all the three-quarter-around brass pipe wrenches in another pile; bent ignition wrenches in another set; ratchet box wrenches in another set; etc.

The cardboard stiffener isn't perfect; steel or very thin wood would be better; so I'll look for copper or steel plate that will help keep the bands together.

Perfect, once the wrenches are banded, would be wrap-around steel plate that clips into place, perhaps with velcro. I'll work on that next.

Thanks for all the great ideas! Organizing wrenches must be one thing almost all of us have in common!

Reply to
Bill Horn

My biggest problem is organizing my wenches.

Excel helps.

Reply to
HeyBub

Some flashing, like the thin metal flashing that is used on houses.Easy to cut and bend. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin