Sunbird died and won't start

My 1991 sunbird 2.0 L died yesterday in a drive-thru and will not start back up again. I have already replaced the: distributor module spark plugs/wires fuses distributor cap rotor coil pack

It has fuel pressure. It has no spark The ignition wire to the coil pack has 12 volts when key is to the on position. There is no spark out of the coil. Anyone have any ideas or suggestion on what could be wrong or what I can do to fix? PLEASE help. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
aire

Hows about ignition control unit?

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

well the spark comes from an effective ignition system.

why all the replacement of the parts you mentioned?

I would check the distributor module / coil pack to see if they are ok.

and check the old ones that you removed.

if you don't have a tester - you might try one at a time on the car.

just dying and want start sounds like a plugged fuel filter, which gm is noted for. but no spark is another thing.

is it possible that you could go through the on / off / on key routine - as needed to get a defect code?

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

Take the oil fill cap off and look inside while someone cranks the engine. Is the camshaft turning?. If not you have a broken timing belt.

-jim

Reply to
jim

because it is a 1991, lol and some of the parts i replaced because of a high nox on the emissions test

lready did that the coil pack was bad which is why i replaced it. I alread= y replaced both the module then the entire distributor, replacing the entir= e distributor was my last guess so I did it.

It is getting fuel I say the little pulleys move under the air filter and i could smell the fuel. It is getting fuel.

Reply to
aire

Guess what I found the problem and you won't believe it. Or at least they didn't at Auto Zone.

The first part that we replaced the coil pack was the culprit and the replacement new coil pack from Auto Zone was bad, I called them and said I thought it might be bad, he said that was unlikely but alowed me to exchange it any way. Since I new everything else should have been already tested [like the distriubutor] and some of which I had already replaced twice [modulator]. And since my last post I had also replaced the brain it was the last straw.

It was the last and final thing to try and we tried it on a whim (and I was already upset with going and looking at other cars sorry folks don't like car dealers) and shaaaazammm it started after the second coil pack.

Thanks for you help.

Aire

Reply to
aire