Sunfire no start

Hi, I have a 96 Sunfire with a 2.2l engine, for the last couple of years it would refuse to start,no spark on the plugs,but after a day or so it would run fine,. This happened every 6 months or so, but last week it would not start, and still won't. The fuel pump runs, but there is no spark on the plugs,I changed the Crank Sensor, but still no spark...any ideas? There seems to be a sensor above the Crank sensor, I am thinking maybe its a cam sensor.any ideas on what I can try to cure this,or any tests i can run? thanks, Rodger

Reply to
Rodger

There will be a cam sensor on this engine (though I'm not sure if the one you mentioned is it), but it won't cause a no-spark problem even if it failed. It's possible you may have a bad ignition module..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
Rodger

Actually, it looks like on this engine the ignition module would cause a fuel but no spark condition if it failed. Do you know if the engine is getting any fuel? Try a test light on one of the fuel injector connectors. If you're getting fuel then the PCM should be pulsing the Ignition Control A and B lines to the ignition module (white and orange wires). The ignition module also needs power on the pink wire and ground on the black wire - did you check that the IGN fuse is not blown?

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
Rodger

Reply to
Rodger

If you've got fuel but no power on the white and orange (Ignition Control A and B), that would probably point to a bad PCM. The service manual gives the following diagnostic steps:

With ignition off, probe with test light between battery positive and each of the white and orange wires.

If light illuminates on either or both, unplug PCM and try again. If it still illuminates on either or both, repair the short in the IC A or B circuit. If not, check the PCM connector, if OK replace the PCM.

If it does not illuminate on either or both, check for an open or short on the IC A or B circuit. If OK, check PCM connector, if OK replace PCM.

The PCM on this car is inside the passenger's side fender. When replaced, it will likely need to be programmed and the crank position variation learn procedure done, so this is probably a dealer-only operation. However, check and see if this is still within the emissions warranty (8 years), as the PCM is covered..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
Rodger