Suspension spring replacement

Info needed how to release the pressure on the the leaf spring and to remove the spring on a Ford F350/85 (4x4) front suspension. Thanks.

Reply to
Sandor A. Feher

It's an '85?

I would highly recommend you take it to a spring shop for removal.

Meanwhile, you can jack up the frame until the weight comes off the wheel and put jack stands under the frame. Then use the jack to lift slightly on the axle to get a 'neutral' feel on the springs. If you watch, you will see the bolts on the shackles move just at this point.

On something as old as an 85, it is very unlikely the shackle bolts will come out. They likely will either need to be cut or torched off.

Same for the bushings inside the ends. If you plan on using the main leaf again, you can take a drill and drill a pile of holes through the bushing to give you room to peel and scrape it out. Same for the frame side bushings.

I did a frame up rebuild on my 86 CJ7 and put a glass body on and have rebuilt two of the engines for others and when it comes to springs, I take mine to the shop.

They had to use a torch on mine to remove them and burn the old bushing out to get the inside sleeve to reuse because the new bushings didn't come with sleeves.

I went and helped a friend do his in his yard with no torch or air tools and it took 4 of us two long days to swap 4 lifted springs in.

Mike

"Sandor A. Feher" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain