Swapping a diesel motor into a gasoline car in California. Is it legal?

Hello all.

I have a 1984 Mercedes Benz 190D. The motor is just about indestructable an d gets very high MPG. However, the car's body, interior and transmission ar e now shot beyond the investment of the cost of repair. Yesterday I found a 1991 Mercedes Benz 190E with a very good condition body and a very good in terior, but the gasoline motor is non running and too costly to repair. I h ave offered it's owner to buy his non running 190E as is. My intent is to t ake the 2.2 diesel motor from my 190D and swap it into this 1991 190E. I li ve in California where emmissions laws are strict. I don't want to commit a felony and swap the VIN numbers. Is there a legal process to doing this in California? I would then sell the old 190D car (minus engine) with the 190 E engine thrown in to Pick A Part. Any serious replies will be greatly appr eciated.

Reply to
David O Rodriguez

his 1991 190E. I live in California

s.html -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Not legal. Engine must be same year or newer than vehicle it is going into. Also has to be ab engine that was available in the new vehicle.

Reply to
Steve W.

what he said.

Reply to