Symptoms of Mechanical Fuel Pump Failure

Working w/ an '84 Pontiac Firebird 2.8L V6 (w/ carb). Found fuel leaking out the bottom of the fuel pump. Pulled it and replaced it. I noticed a small hole on the back side of diaphragm. I think this was where the fuel was leaking from. So it doesn't appear to have been getting into the engine like I remember fuel pumps doing back in the day.

Q: Is this designed to vent fuel rather than letting it go into the engine like they used to (in the event of failure)?

Q: How do you tell if gas got in the oil? I don't see any different coloration and I don't 'smell' it (but changed the oil anyway)

Q: Can gas in the oil do serious engine damage? Or will it just evaporate?

thanks

Reply to
loadhawg

I can't tell you specifically but I would think it depends on just which part starts leaking as to whether it goes into the engine or out that little drain.

One way would be if the oil level INcreases. Another way would be by smelling it.

If it's not too much it will just evaporate. If it's a lot it will thin the oil which could be a problem if it thins it too much. I don't think you have to worry about that happening from what you have described.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The back side of the diaphragm needs to be vented to the atmosphere so the diaphragm can actually work. Theoretically there should be a seal in the fuel pump (I've rebuilt a few, the old Carters that were intended to be rebuilt rather than replaced as a unit when something fails) that should separate the back side of the diaphragm from the crankcase, but IME those really only keep oil from entering the fuel pump, and sometimes not even that - I typically put a little Permatex on that seal to keep from getting oil blown out the vent hole (BTDT, scared the hell out of me when smoke started pouring out from under the car)

then you're probably good.

Depends on the amount. If it was not enough to produce a fuelish smell or noticeably thinner viscosity, likely no damage was done.

nate

Reply to
N8N

About two weeks ago I replaced the old worn out mechanical fuel pump and fuel filter on my 1983 Dodge van.The engine starts up and runs better now. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin