Synthetic Motor Oil

where / how is the 200 proof "everclear" made, and what is it used for?

doesn't your regular old 80-proof bottle / bond liqueurs sell for 30-40- dollars a gallon?

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

I just came in the house from mowing with 0W20 Mobil 1 in my 6.5 hp 4 stroke lawnmower. One _easy pull_, instant start. Cuts like a buzzsaw. No smoke, no *deposits* in engine oil. This is the second time I've used it this season. In fact, I had to look very carefully to even find the engine oil on the dipstick it was so clean.

Before this...mower would take 4 or 5 hard pulls to start, *bog down* in deep grass with straight 30W dino (recommended). Not now. Of course, I keep the blade knife edge sharp, but still, 1 pull starts, power up the gazoo, no smoke, no engine skipping, no overheating. ALL this from Mobil 1??? It appears so. Cause I sure didn't do anything else to the engine this season. Same spark plug from last year, same everything else.

Have I found The Fountain of Youth? It could be.... On Techuseh engines, so far, superior performance.

BTW, I am not selling this stuff, so this is just an unsolicited testimonial given FWIW.

Then I have to test the burn characteristics of Mobil 1. I will put some in a teaspoon held in a small vice and light it off. I might have to add gas or a *wick* to get it lighted. I'll be interested in

*residue,* but I'm not expecting any.

BTW did I mention I hand-started my snowthrower with a couple yanks on the starter cord? Formerly, it could only be started with the electric assist starter motor. Same thing. It now has Mobil 1 in it instead of *recommended dino s**te.*

My 2 cycle experiments have to wait until tomorrow. I'm knee deep to my whatever in errands at the moment.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

It's really only around 160 proof. It's made from grain mash, distilled continuously on a column.

It's difficult to make anything higher than 160 proof because alcohol is sufficiently hygroscopic that it will soon absorb atmospheric moisture and dilute itself when the bottle is open. It _is_ possible to make 200 proof alcohol but it uses some trickery that results in trace amounts of benzene, making it illegal for drinking.

Likwise it is also possible to make ethanol from ethylene gas as well, and this route can be used to produce 200 proof alcohol. Again not legal for drinking in the US (although it has been sold in Russia as vodka).

What is it used for? Everclear is used for getting drunk with, whenever you don't want the smell of drink on your body. This makes it the drink of choice for preachers, ministers, and other men of the cloth in the Southland. It is also very popular among college students when mixed with grape kool-aid.

I think you can get Aristocrat gin for a good bit less than that. On the other hand, Lavagulin will set you back a little bit more.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Supposedly one of the benefits of PAO/ester blend base oils is that they don't leave deposits but evaporate off cleanly.

There was the whole thing about synthetic oils and rotary engines. However - I've heard of many RX-7 weekend racers who had no problem with Mobil 1.

Reply to
y_p_w

the reason the lawn motors started this season - with ease, lawrence didn't get around to "tuning them up" beforehand.

btw - just a suggestion, but I would keep the lawn tools with motors - tethered, to help prevent personal injury.:--)

you never know when they might get mobil one "fever" - and take off.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

doesn't your regular old 80-proof bottle / bond liqueurs sell for 30-40- dollars a gallon?

*************** Pure alcohol can be used to extract flavors and fragrances from herbs and flowers, as solvents, as laboratory reagents, as solvent systems for medicine, etc. Many uses.

You can make essentially pure ethyl alcohol synthetically. This can be further purified rather easily if need be. My old organic professor used to say it was better to drink the vodka made from synthetic alcohol than the distilled stuff...less fusel oils, therefore milder hangovers.

Ethyl alcohol produced from fermentation is a little harder to get to the anhydrous state. Toward the end of the distillation , an azeotrope forms, and you will no longer distill the lower boiling liquid away from the higher boiling one. So, you have to resort to chemistry tricks to get the last of the water out. After that, you would want to further purify the alcohol.

I think the current federal tax is about $13.50 per proof gallon for beverage alcohol. Therefore, for one gallon of 200 proof alcohol, the tax would be $27.00 approximately.

Reply to
<HLS

It is always the goop left from evaporated gasoline that has not been treated with StaBil. Now all my gas ( except for car ) gets StaBil. With StaBil in one hand, and Mobil 1 in the other, I'm fit for a TV commercial.

No kidding, these machines are honkin' now. And if they weren't, I would mention that also. This so far in Techumseh engines. No idea what to expect in another design, but my lawnmower wants 30 weight Dino, I put in 0W20 Mobil 1, it all of a sudden has WINGS!!! Red Bull, step aside!

I can't wait to see what Mobil 1 does when I use it as a 2-cycle lubricant. Either I will melt down the engine, fudge it up with goop, or more likely, FLY off above the clouds and into the sunset with my HIGH SPEED leaf blower ;-)))

I'm supposed to get 180 mph wind out of that thing, and maybe, just maybe we can achieve that with full synthetic!

I'll strap myself to a tree before firing the thing up in case it wants to take me aloft.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

OPti-2 will lock your motor up, this guy never worked in a scooter shop, he is 12 years old.......

Reply to
cinewton

Okay, so I bought Mobile 1 RACING 2T Fully Synthetic 2 cycle motorcycle oil

1 qt $7.00 USA

Protects: snowmobiles chainsaws air cooled applications such as: motor scooters, snowmobiles, chainsaws, garden equipment.

This is

API TC, JASO FC, PROPOSED ISO-L-EGD

Those interested can look this up for a data aheet, but it is made for premix as well as injection.

My plan is to mix it 50:1 and use it in everything 2 cycle air-cooled. Therefore, I have a bunch of *other* fuel which is going to have to be incinerated. How to do that...as the other premix smokes like napalm.

Like I said...Stabil in one hand, Mobil 1 in the other, I'm ready for a TV commercial.

My problem now is dumping the *other mixes* and getting this New Stuff into my engines ASAP.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

a side remark - granted "alcohol" is used in spirits for whatever end-result, be it - you name it.

but also it might give a person a medicinal benefit when used - sanely. just how does this come about? just curious, since it seems that the body's chemistry works

better with a ph just a tad, or better on the acid side. don't quote me.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

ok, for the benefit of others, and / or those that do not have access to the sta-bil product,

why not "exhaust" the gasoline supply in the tank that's to set idle for an extended period of time?

I would think, but have no proof - that the commercial 2-cycle oil would have lubricous qualities - than motor oils doesn't.

you'd hate a "seizure" - wouldn't you (?) - at altitudes requiring a parachute for a safe landing.:--)

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

I don't know, but if it was me, the pre-mix as you call it - "that smokes", and the reason it smokes could be cause you over shot the mixture with 2-cycle oil.

I'd make an educated guess as to how much, maybe 25% to start with, and add in in 25% increments virgin gasoline until - the monsters quit smoking.

"save that gas":--)

ps - my equipment doesn't smoke, but of course I use the recommended amount of 2-cycle oil in the mix.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

I meant, it smokes when it is burned outside the combustion chamber. As in, I can't just put it into a burn-barrel or such. Curiously, I don't get this smoke when I run the mix in the engines.

Every now and then, I run into this problem where I have extra premix left over and want to get rid of it. Last time I brought it to the Fire Dept but they were a tad pissed, since they get enough of it from other sources, and they don't want to become a gas station.

I live in a village of 8,000. Imagine every household bringing them a

*gift of gas* every Spring. WTF would they do with it? Since they are all grades and types of fuel?

If I had an old beater, I would pour it all into the gas tank, but won't do that to my Mercury as I would at the minimum blow out 2 cat converters. So...I'll put it into some kind of gasoline container and mark it with a big X as in *do not use.*

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Well, I have a lot of it. About 3 gallons of premix I want to go up the chimneys.

That's the idea.

I'm expecting a HAPPY outcome, as I think I bought the right product. I spent a lot of time on the net last night researching what to use.

My engines cost many hundreds of dollars. In fact, my chainsaw alone cost many hundreds of dollars. My landscaping equipment, bought new at today's prices, is thousands of dollars. I have to take care of it is all, so that's why I'm giving full synthetic a go as a fuel additive in my 2 cycle air-cooled engines. Sure a quart costs $7 bucks. That will make me 51 quarts of premix. More than enough to last this season. An engine overhaul because of scored pistons otoh, let's not go there. This is cheap insurance.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Bud don't know who you are unless you are that looser with the poser, but... That 2 stroke engine oil works really well. I still have one Triumph/BSA 3 wheel scooter and a Daimler. They are both 2 stokes and that oil works great.

Oh ya, I went and looked, you are not only a loser with a poser, you are a freakin Stalker. LOL! Hey I have my own internet stalker, what a hoot!

Mike

Mike Romain

The reduction from 190 proof to 153 (allegedly for "fire safety") happened around 1990, after the President got wind that somebody from the Texas Rangers administrative offices downloaded a recipe for green dragon.

You can still get the 190 version in France.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon