Synthetic Oil Stays "Clean"?

My wife and I both bought new cars over the past year and have been using synthetic oil for the two oil changes they both have had since purchased. For changes on the Malibu (3.1 V6), the Chevy dealer used Mobil-1. For changes on the wife's Stratus (2.7 V6) the Dodge dealer used a Castrol brand synthetic. I checked the fluid levels on both cars this past weekend at about the 1,500 mile mark. The oil on the dipstick in the Stratus looked like it was new and just put in the car. On the Malibu the oil looked slightly "dirty", but certainly not as "dirty" as one would expect oil to look at the 1,500 mile mark. I've not had experience with synthetic oil before, just wondering if this observation is normal and why.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I think all you are seeing is how the Temperature is causing a colour change in the synthetic's base. A hydraulic lab could run a particulate test and tell you if there is a break down in the filter system. But I really don't feel you are having a problem. For the record I use Mobil 1 in all my autos and trucks. ronm

Reply to
ronm

On a brand new engine @ 1500 miles, any oil should look clean.

Reply to
Bill Kapaun

It looks like the Mobil 1 is doing a better cleaning job.

P.S. Castrol Syntec is a fake synthetic!! (Inferior hydrocracked Group III base stock. The only thing synthetic about castrol is the high price.)

Reply to
davefr

I have a 9 month old Toyota Tacoma with 14k miles, and just before each 3000 mile oil/filter change, the oil still looks clean (using normal motor oil). I think you're just experiencing a new car thing.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

When my honda was new, the oil would stay clear for hundreds of miles after an oil change. My father has a propane-powered tractor and the oil always stays clear.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

With propane, your oil stays cleaner compared to gasoline or diesel powered engines. The propane does not dilute oil, instead it vaporizes into the atomosphere after it gets past the rings. In fact, engine oil in a propane powered vehicle actually thickens with use.

Reply to
Kruse