Tar removal

I have tried different chemicals to get dried tar off car or floors. Tried the bug and tar removers, and gasoline. Then I tried the hand cleaner: Goop orange with pumice. It worked better without the hazardous fumes of the others. I think Permatex also makes a orange hand cleaner.

Reply to
J J

JJ, it's been awhile, but gasoline used to work as well as anything, but I had to keep it wet. Tried kerosene, but still gasoline did better. Of course, follow up with a thorough wash, and then wax. I surely agree about the fumes, so you already know that solution would be to do it outside--even then, the stink on one's self and clothes can be horrible. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

I've had the opposite results- kerosene worked better than gasoline. Also, kerosene doesn't have color additives that can stain paint the way some gasolines do. Also, kerosene less dangerous as far as fumes are concerned.

We got a can of tar remover one time with a care kit that came with a new car. The stuff sure smelled like kerosene (the ingredients list merely said "petroleum distillates" which covers quite a few similar products.

Reply to
stauffer