taurus 3.0 swpas.

I got a chance to get a 97 taurus with a 3.0 vulcan for cheap. its blowing compression back out the water bottle. Car was well maintained and there is no water in the oil.

I am assuming at least the head gasket(s) are out. And maybe a cracked head.

I have a complete working 93 3.0 for parts or?

The main difference i can see is the 93 is a distrubuter motor and the 96 is a coil pack motor. The crank on the 96 has one more weight on it.

From what i can tell, the heads might swap from the 93 to 96. Are the bolts holes all the same between the heads (like where the coil packs mount)?

What about swapping the 93 motor into the 96 if i swap the entire induction system and replace the distrubuter with a sensor? Possible?

bob

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

bob urz

Steve Austin

Yea, i looked at that before and it was a good source.

But it did not directly answer the question.

The biggest deal from what i can see is the cam sensor and crank sensor and if they can be retrofitted to the 93 block without re inventing the wheel. The induction system should just bolt on (and is different). The newer block has some internal reinforcing and NVH stuff but that should not really make any difference.

It also seemed a mystery to me why the 96 and newer motors seemed to have this rust issue internally in the cooling system. It did not seem to be the case in the earlier 3.0's. So what changed?

At any case, when i get this car in the driveway i am going to tear the heads off and see what the problem really is. I am expecting at least one bad head gasket and maybe a cracked head.

My friend who was a machinist told me i should have any heads decked before install incase there was any warpage. He said he has seen some like that that failed in 3 or 4 months because of this.