Taurus tie rod ends...

I was told that I need to have my tie rod ends (both inner & outer) replaced. I have a 1998 Taurus SE sedan with the DOHC 24 valve V6. The grand total (estimate-parts and labor) was $450.00 I feel this is a bit high.

Also, they quoted me a price for a tune up of $450.00 They tell me that the intake manifold needs to be removed and replaced in order to access the rear spark plugs on this Taurus model with the DOHC 24v V6

With today's cars, all a tune up entails is replacing the spark plugs and wires. It's the labor involved with the removal of the intake manifold that kills you.

Any advice?

p.s. No, don't tell me to just junk the damned thing.

Reply to
Zoggin

I doubt that it takes more than 20 minutes to remove the intake manifold, so I'd guess the labor involved to remove and replace the intake is less than $75. I don't have a DOHC V-6, but I have looked at one. Unless you are at or near 100K miles, I wouldn't replace the plugs. Did you get the quote from a dealer? I had the plugs replaced on my 5.4L Expedition for around $300 at the dealer, and, at least to my eye, it looks much more difficult that doing the DOHC V-6.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White