Tech 2 on pre-96 vehicles?

Acquaintance recently took a 91 Volvo in to the shop - can't remember model number - experiencing some driveability probs. Shop couldn't find anything wrong, but stated they extensively went thru car using Tech 2 (is that more correctly Tech2, TechII; the same as OBDII/OBD2?)

It struck me as odd: are there now modules of some sort so that Tech 2 can be used on pre-96 cars?; or is that OBDII? i.e., it seems like Tech

2 would yield little to no dx info on a 91 MY vehicle
Reply to
Lance Morgan

Tech 2 is a diag scanner used on OBDII pcms it basicly tells you almost everything your auto is doing different autos came out with the OBDII in different years.As far as a 91 it should still have obd! which the connections are different and we shot out dash codes by jumping the pcm I think you may have gotten scammed was it a dealer shop or somewhere else?

Reply to
Steve Cook

It was an Indie that works just on Volvos. Wasn't me/my car, but sounded funny. Was trying to see if there are some retro modules for OBDII to partially scan OBDI - if this Volvo is even OBDI? Found out it is a 740 model. Not sure what fuel management system it uses - maybe Bosch LH

Reply to
Lance Morgan

When we released the Tech 2 to manufacturing it was in 1994, I think. OBD-2 was close to being reality but at the time, the vehicle communications interface module was configured for OBD-1 if I recall correctly (not too sure being the mechanical guy on the project).

I always wanted to call it Tech II but the official name was Tech 2. I did the mechanical engineering design on this tester when I was in Sunnyvale working for HP at the time.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Bergmen

A Tech 2 might work on older non-OBD-II GM vehicles, but I can't imagine it possibly working on a '91 Volvo. I suspect maybe they were using the name "Tech 2" to refer to a scan tool generically..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

"Lance Morgan" wrote

A GM tech 2 can be used on pre-OBDII GM vehicles as far as I know. We have the different interface cables and you need an external power supply cord (like the older Tech I). It gets a bit sketchy the further back you go, and I'm not aware of it working on an older Volvo, but you never know, as Volvo is owned by GM now, right?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

The original Vetronix Tech 2 is designed to work on 1992 through current year GM vehicles (including generic OBD II).

The 91 Volvo is not OBD II.

To retrieve codes on this vehicle see:

saeengineer

Ian, So what exactly can a Tech 2 do that one of the other OBD-II tools do? It would appear ABS stuff, but what else? I've been unable to determine whether I should be trying to buy a used one for my cars, but I just don't know if it's necessary for a DIYer (even an advanced DIYer.)

Reply to
Ray

The differences would depend on what exactly you're comparing it to - they can do all the GM-specific stuff like accessing all modules on the data bus (ECM, TCM, BCM, instrument cluster, ABS, SIR, radio on some cars, Onstar, etc.) and certain GM-specific functions like the crankshaft variation learn procedure that's needed when the ECM is replaced, etc.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

So for my 01 Firebird, that would be useful if I needed to access the ABS, SIR or dashboard. Thanks. I think I'll stick with getting AutoTap for recording and LS1Edit for uploading to the PCM. The total cost for those two is about $500 - a Tech 2 seems to be a minimum of $2k - and I'm not sure if I can even get the GM modules without working for a dealer.

Thanks, Ray

Reply to
Ray

"Ray" wrote

There is a difference between the TechII that we would use, and one that you would buy. The TechII we have can be updated over our network, and this is something that you couldn't get done unless you knew someone who worked at a dealership and had them do it. If you needed to reflash a computer, you could not do it with your techII as you would have to be able to connect up to the TIS service which only a dealership or possibly someone else who is authorized and pays for that service.

I don't think I'd spend the money on a Tech II unless I was convinced that I could have access to 'all' of it's capabilities.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

That's convinced me. I'll just get the stuff to plug into my laptop... and worry about sucking up to a dealer if

**it happens. (The dealer I got my TA from would probably be able to help me...)
Reply to
Ray

Get an Auto Xray EZ scan - reads OBD1 and 2 - but not all the ABS etc. Mine has cables for pre 96 ford, gm, and Mopar, as well as OBD2

Reply to
clare