tensioner for sert. belt needed??

About 1000 miles ago (although that's more than a year because my truck sits while I fly around the world) I was told (during a routine oil change) by my dodge dealer that I need a serp. belt for my dodge truck (about 80,000 miles). OK, do it...i said, without looking at it. Now, during another oil change, the dealer (service rep...a different guy and different techs) says "you need a serp. belt and tensioner". WHAT? I you just sold me a S-belt 1000 miles ago. He looks up my records and says..OK, "actually you just need a tensioner, but the belt and tensioner are usually done as one job, but you can just get the tensioner". I said I'm suspicious: didn't i need a tensioner 1000 miles (one year) ago (in which case I would hardly have to pay extra for it)? He didn't know. Did anyone check the tensioner back then? He didn't know. So I ask you all: What is the most likely scenario here. and how likely is it that I would need a tensioner only 1000 after getting a new Serp. belt? I do know that there is no noise at all or symptoms that I'm aware of. I think he quoted a price around $150. I don't necessarily trust the service dept. because there is alot of turnover...new reps, etc. (p.s. How important is this tensioner...does it just reduce the life of the S-belt if its 'bad'? ).

Reply to
mac

Yes and no... The tensioner could have become weak or worn out. That would cause problems with the serpentine belt, over time.

I replaced both belt and tensioner myself. It isn't a big job, but if the frigging dealership does it, it could easily run to $150.

Haven't you learned yet about dealership prices and quality?

Reply to
<HLS