The 2016 Hamster

The 2016 Hamster:

I haven't yet found any specs except to say that the car is shorter and narrower than the current car. And then I have to say that it doesn't work to proportion width to length but that width should be maintained.

Also, a gallery of 15 or so photos shows that the car is just a folded sheet metal unibody but like the current car .

Reply to
emptypost

Here's the gallery of 15 photos:

.

Reply to
emptypost

And the marketing says that they went to a more lightweight car.

But making a car lighter by making it smaller is not exactly a technology.

The car is probably too small for the USA market. See, the Honda S2000 and the BMW Z4 were already bigger cars .

Reply to
emptypost

The Pontiac Solstice and the Honda S2000 were bigger cars. The BWM Z4 and the Porsche Boxster are bigger cars .

Reply to
emptypost

The front-end does have an Italian super-car look to it. But forum posters are noticing the front fender line as a simply continuation of the door line.

The rear-end is hopeless and looks like something from a Japanese econo-box.

Well, marketing science is on the line. The market research says that the buyer wants a car that reminds them of the first-generation car.

Personally, I would want something as wide as a Porsche Boxster. And construction like a Corvette or Elise.

The price of the car will save it .

Reply to
emptypost

Well, I just saw a new MB SLK and it is pretty darn small.

And then the Porsche Boxster. It looks great in profile but is pretty darn rounded otherwise.

This 2016 MX5 looks like a glob-of-round that someone chiseled some detail into.

I think I'm looking for the Lotus Esprit of a few years back. Or the Ferrar i 360. Something not too rounded and trim.

For something bigger there is the Audi R8 but that's $120,000 if one can be found without options.

Basically, if the MX5 is too small then there is the Nissan Z-car, the Pors che Boxster, and the new Lotus Evora. And the BWM Z4. Also, the MB SLK. Wel l, the Corvette fits in this price range also. Oh, the new Jaguar F-Type. B ut the only car here that stays within 50% of the price of the MX5 is the N issan Z-car .

Reply to
emptypost

and the current Miata is bloated and enormous compared to the original. I think smaller is a great trend!

nate

Reply to
N8N

Agreed. Curb weight on the Miata is 2480 lbs which is only around 100 lbs less than a big 4-seater BMW E30. Get maybe 500 lbs off of that thing and then I'll consider buying it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Orig Making a car lighter only by making it smaller is not an impressive technology.

For instance, the Lotus Elise has visibly large chassis sections but it weighs less than 2000 pounds .

Reply to
emptypost