The physics behind worn tires and braking distance

It?s a fact that braking distance increases inversely with tread depth.

Why?

The tread compound is apparently constant from new rubber to wear strips so it?s not due to harder or ?stickier? compound deeper in the tire tread.

What?s the reason?

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

Perhaps in the case of wet roads. Here's the physics and a bit of data.

The Physics of Braking Systems (including the tires)

How safe are worn tires? Even tires with half their tread intact may be riskier than you think

Reply to
Sam Wormley

What is the reason for tire tread patterns (grooves) in the first place? The tread grooves channel water to avoid hydroplaning. Consequently, if the grooves are shallower due to tread wear then they cannot channel as much water.

Fabian Russell

Are you saying that a bald tire would have shorter stopping distance than a new tire with lots of tread?

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

That has always been my experience, but only by feel. I've never measured it.

Reply to
rickman

On dry, clean pavement. This is why they sell racing slicks.

Unfortunately racing slicks are an instant disaster if there is any water on the pavement, or even worse spilled oil. They don't handle debris well either.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Sorry, I read this backwards. I have always been able to tell the difference in braking with new tires vs. old ones. The height of the tread allows the rubber to flex and shape to the road better I suppose. But I always have better braking with new tires.

Reply to
rickman

The compound starts out the same, however the heat cycles that a tire goes through will change it's response characteristics. It makes the rubber harder. Also the rubber itself will age as the various chemicals in the mix break down. These are the reason why a new tire stops faster, the rubber is still pliant.

Now if you want even better DRY traction, use the new rubber but with no tread as in a slick. Just don't try driving in normal street conditions, Slicks use a very soft compound that wears fast and offers very little protection from road debris or anything that compromises the dry surface.

The tread grooves serve a few purposes,

1 - They allow water, snow, mud and anything else a way to exit from the contact area and allow the rubber to contact the road. 2 - They allow air moving over them to cool the tire and tread. Tires generate traction through friction, friction generates heat. Airflow removes heat. 3 - Different tread grooves and sipes help to quiet road noise by changing the frequencies that the air movement between the tire/road contact. 4 - The serve as a wear indicator. 5 - They also allow the traction amounts and styles to be tailored to specific goals. For instance a "summer" tire will have straighter grooves that an all season, A mud tire will be broken up to allow better self cleaning action while a sand tire will be smoother to gain flotation.
Reply to
Steve W.

Very interesting. I have more questions:

  1. What tire/rubber property makes the difference in speed ratings?
  2. What specifies the traction on dry surfaces rather than wet surfaces?

I'm thinking that it was such a pleasure driving my friend's S2000 with the fancy racing tires that I'd like to improve the dry traction (short of $1K/each) if I have to replace any tires. I realize that a Corolla won't drive like an S2000, but better tires have GOT to be better.

Reply to
The Real Bev

?Better dry-road performance. Bone-dry pavement is one place where less tread means more grip, since shallower grooves and sipes put more rubber on the road.?

Makes sense.

Reply to
DaveC

An entire tire?s design determines what speed it is capable of (er, of what speed it is capable.) Belt and cord strength, the strength of the rubber compound, sidewall strength. ad nauseum. A stronger tire will withstand greater rotation speed. One that is not strong will disintegrate at speed. )c:

As for wet/dry suitability, try this:

under ?Staying safe in the wet?.

Cheers, Dave

Reply to
DaveC

Yes. Wasn't quite sure what you meant.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I saw that, but I'm interested in dry traction. Back in the dark ages my Ducati had Dunlop tires made of what was called 'cling' rubber at the time. I never heard them squeal. My friend says she gets perhaps 20K on her tires because they're made of soft rubber, which I assume is the same thing. I never heard hers squeal either, and she makes really impressive turns going up or down the mountain road to where we ski.

So I'm thinking that, given a choice, I'd be willing to trade a little less longevity for a little more traction. How do I do that?

Reply to
The Real Bev

Then you likely want a softer tire. Look for tires with an H or V speed rating.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Consider it a collision insurance premium that can reduce both the chance & seveverity of a collision, regardless of the vehicle speed.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

THANKS! Do the speed ratings involve the stickiness of the rubber alone, or something else too?

Reply to
The Real Bev

Other stuff as well, but Goodyear isn't going to tell you what the durometer of the rubber they are using is (and with some fancy tires, the tread surface may have several different kinds of rubber with different durometer). But they WILL tell you that the tires are soft enough to give acceptable handling at some speed.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Durometer. Is this an industry-wide spec or did they make it up themselves?

A Nagra played a part in this movie:

The Real Bev

Durometer is a standard term. It is used to give a number to the hardness of soft items. It is similar to a Rockwell number in hard items like steel or iron.

Reply to
Steve W.

Everything in the tire determines the speed ratings. From the rubber compounds, tire belting, tread design right down to the shape of the bead.

Same as above. A tire with a softer compound flexible belting and a lot of grooves and siping will have better wet traction than a tire with no tread and a hard compound.

Keep in mind that a tire that has great dry traction will probably not have that same traction in wet conditions.

Reply to
Steve W.