Thermostat question

I recently scavenged some new cooling system parts from a wrecking yard , for my 85 Honda Accord. The Thermostat in question has brass clips built into it that holds it in the full open position. Is this some sort of safety that holds it open if the car overheats?.Or are you supposed to bend them out of the way before installing it?. When i pulled it out of the car it was locked into the full open position. Does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks,

Cj

Reply to
CJ Wilson

Yes. Thermostats found in the wrecking yard, stay in the wrecking yard.

This is a "mission critical" part.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Don't plan on using it. I was after the new Thermostat housing and the new radiator.I was just curious, as i have never seen this type.

Cj

Reply to
CJ Wilson

There are some thermostats which are purported to lock into the open position instead of closed when they fail, to keep the engine from overheating. I don't think they are 100% reliable in that respect however..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

--

Reply to