Tie Rod End Adjust Tool? - 1992 Buick Roadmaster

RE: Tie Rod End Adjust Tool? - 1992 Buick Roadmaster

The inner and outer tie rod ends on each side are connected by a split steel tube (with right and left hand threads in each tube). I want to adjust the toe, so I have flooded the threads with PB Blaster, loosened the two clamps on each tube and tried to turn the tube with Vise-Grip pliers.

It is hard to get much turning movement because clamping the Vise-Grips on the tube tightens the threads also, resisting turning. Also, I don't have much room to swing the Vise-Grips.

Is there a special tool that would make this easier? Perhaps something that inserts a tab into the tube slot and lets the tube turn without squeezing it.

Any suggestion for a tool or technique would be appreciated.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

Nearly all tie rods in North America used to be constructed that way, before the widespread use of rack and pinion steering gear. Someone who sells alignment tools will have the tie rod sleeve wrench you have guessed at. May not be easily available from just any old auto parts store, though.

Reply to
the fly

Rodan wrote: (1992 Buick Roadmaster)

< ... look Nearly all tie rods in North America used to be constructed that way, before the widespread use of rack and pinion steering gear. Someone who sells alignment tools will have the tie rod sleeve wrench you have guessed at. May not be easily available from just any old auto parts store, though. ____________________________________________________

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

They look something like this.

ch

Reply to
golden oldie

I use a small pipe wrench that grabs well without squeezing much...

Reply to
Terry

I believe that there is an actual tie rod sleeve tool

yup, here's one:

kind of like the spanner you'd use for coil-overs but smaller.

Pipe wrench works fine, but leaves marks... that's fine for a driver, but when I see pipe wrench marks on the tie rod of my '55 I get pissed. (what's worse is when I crawl under the car to check something and grab onto the tie rod to pull myself in or out and get a palmful of steel sliver... that has happened.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to