"Tighten" bearings on front hub, 1986 Camry

Mom's 1986 Camry failed inspection; the inspector said the bearing on the driver's side front was bad. He said, "You may be able to tighten it up; I'm not sure on this car."

I am guessing he means tighten the hub.

Doesn't look too hard, I'll have to look at the hub assy to get an idea of what I need to do and if I want to tackle it.

Her car is in good shape with little rust, so it should be easy...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= wrote in news:TGWJi.4080$1z3.3931@trndny02:

You can't "tighten" the front bearings on that car.

If you have bearing play, the bearings must be replaced.

The old tapered roller bearings (such as commonly found on older RWD vehicles) CAN be tightened to take up play.

Unless the spindle nut is actually finger-loose, DO NOT try to "tighten" it. Tighten it too much and you can snap the nose off the halfshaft and will need to replace the shaft.

Which way is the play at the tire? Up and down or side to side? Both?

Reply to
Tegger