timing

Hello, i have a 1968 ford 302 and i'm having a little trouble with the timing. First of all, the engine was recently rebuilt and i just got it running. I cant get it to run well unless it is about 30 degrees advance, where it pulls about 15 inches of vacum. According to the cam manufacture it should be about 10-14 degrees advance. When i hvae it at

10-14 degreese, it starts a lot harder and idles very roughly and will stall if i dont give it gas frequently. It only pulls about 5 inches of vacume. The cam is pretty mild, its a comp cams high energy with .456 inches of lift and 268 degrees of advertised duration. what could the problem be? any ideas?
Reply to
dsimpson

Sounds like the timing chain is off by a tooth.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

I hope when they rebuilt it they put in steel cam chain sprockets, the OEM ones were nylon-coated aluminum and were total crap.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

You should be setting the timing with the vacuum line(s) disconnected and plugged. IIRC, yous may have a dual diaphragm advancer which I would lose if it is not a concours resto. If the timing is off that far with the lines disconnected, I would suspect that the outer ring of the damper has slipped, the damper is wrong for the engine or you have the wrong pointer installed. Also, make sure you are setting the timing from the #1 plug. On a Ford this is the front passenger side. I suspect you know this but some from the SBC camp do not. The cam you have is fairly mild and usually gives a decent idle.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Damper would be my guess also seen it happen a few times on 302s.

Reply to
2ofdem