Timing belt replacement question

I still have a 1990 Mazda Protege knock-around-town car. It has 178K+ on the odometer and is an amazing little machine (very reliable and solid).

I've always done nearly all of the service work on it, and enjoy doing it, but replacing the TB is something I've always taken it into a shop for. I can certainly afford to let a pro do it, but I thought I'd tackle it this time myself if it isn't too much of a hassle. I've got basic tools including a couple of torque wrenches. I thought I'd buy a manual from Amazon if it's a relatively easy job for a DIY'er. Any thoughts?

-- Vic

Reply to
Victor Faraday

Go for it, i just recently done a 2000 Ford Escort. Not too bad if you get a book. not easy but difinitely doable for DIY'er. Make sure to read up on timing before you take the belt off.

Reply to
Crazy Banana

I agree with crazy... Be sure to find out what else you should replace at the same time. When I did my Escort(1.9L), I replaced the idler tensioner and the water pump.

Reply to
CraigFL

Also, on the right of the page is info. on the timing belt cover.

HTH

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Damn, what a great page!...thanks. But ya know, after looking at the job, I'm kinda leaning toward letting the shop do it.

-- Vic

Reply to
Victor Faraday