Timing belt tensioner

I replaced a timing belt in a '92 subaru legacy. During the project I noticed a fluid leak in around the tensioner area. The tensioner didn't have fluid on it. I continued assembling the belt and had no problems. I drove it around and all seems well. But now I'm wondering about the tensioner. This car has

165000 miles on it and probably the fluid was something I did or sprayed while working. So what happens if that tensioner is bad and is leaking fluid? What will I notice and how will it effect the timing? The tensioner idler wheel was nice and tight before I closed it all up. Should I go through all of that again and replace a $100 part on an old rusted Suby?
Reply to
mbjj

I'm more worried about the leaking fluid. I doubt tensioner leak fluids or will affect timing unless it pops open and reveals ball bearings which is a nightmare. People normally check the tensioner bearing for signs of play or squeaks, never oils. If the belt isn't soaked from the oil, I wouldn't worry. :-) T. Waltson

Reply to
Tibur Waltson