Tire balance affect brake pulsations?

We just had a weird one, 1998 Lexus Gs 300 80K miles, after rotation tires, Michelin Harmony radials, the Lexus experienced servere brake pulsations upon application at 60+ mph, would brake fine 50 mph and below. Using the 5 tire rotation pattern I determined that the only right front tire was changed, being the left front came front the right front. I placed the spare on the right front and almost eliminated the pulsations. Returned tire and car to tire dealer who stated he had never heard of such a problem caused by tires, we placed the defective tire on the right front and the dealer drove the car and agreed it appeared to be a tire problem. The tire dealer did a fine re balance of all the tires, they had all changed by small amounts he stated, and with the apparent defect tire again on the right front the problem was totally eliminated. I never would had though slight tire balance could affect brake performance.

***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Never ever underestimate the incompetent.

Reply to
KG

Michelin Harmony

60+ mph, would brake

the only right front

the spare on the

tire dealer who stated

tire on the right

problem. The tire dealer

he stated, and with

eliminated. I never

Probably not a balance problem. More likely there was a laterally out of true tire. Happens all the time with all brands. Anyone that works with tires knows that.

Reply to
Paul

Michelin Harmony

What does brake pulsation mean?

Obviously it must mean you apply the brakes and something happens. Does the front end shake? Does the steering wheel shake. Or is it the brake pedal where the pulsing is felt? Or is it some combination of the 3.

-jim

the only right front

the spare on the

tire dealer who stated

tire on the right

problem. The tire dealer

he stated, and with

eliminated. I never

Reply to
jim

He didnt change the tire, nor did he say they did anything to true it. That caught my eye immediately.

I dont think it was the balance either. Maybe some dirt or rust that wasnt seen when the wheel was bolted up? If they rechecked the balance off the car, it might have been bolted on true when they replaced it.

Reply to
hls

They did nothing to the tires except re balance them. I was present all the time. The symptoms were exactly like warped rotors, pulsating steering wheel movement & noise. The

5 tires were not much out of balance but the worse by far was the original right front tire. All the tire weights were marked as to position & size before re balancing. The original rotors are still on the car and I recently 6-8 months ago had them lightly faced ground on our face grinder in our machine shop, they were within .0005 ". Below 45- 50 mph braking was normal with very little shake which is normal due to road etch. I never would have thunk.

Michelin Harmony

the only right front

the spare on the

tire dealer who stated

tire on the right

problem. The tire dealer

he stated, and with

eliminated. I never

***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Never ever underestimate the incompetent.

Reply to
KG

Tire balance will not cause brake pulsations.

Improper lug nut torque will.

Reply to
twisted

A nice little fairy story, it never happened.

Reply to
Marcus