Tire PRESSURE question...

I belive that my 1994 Cutlass' Owners Manual states a "Recommended Tire Pressure" of 32 psi. I have been told by a few people that since ALL of my driving is Stop & Go city driving, I can inflate the tires to a few more psi because they won't increase pressure AS much while driving, because they won't get as HOT, as someone who commutes to work everyday.

Is this true?

THANKS!:)

Reply to
OldsFan4Ever

"OldsFan4Ever" wrote

I have always about 3 psi more in my tires (and adjust according to load). Low pressure is for comfort, (moderately) higher pressure for safety and economy. That's also what ADAC and police driving instructors suggest.

It does not depend on your kind of traffic, especially long trips at high autobahn speeds are much safer with higher pressure. Tires get hot with too low pressure, not with high pressure, because with too low pressure the tire is always beeing deformed with every spin. This deformation influences friction (->hot) and material damage.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Schäfer

My Nitto low profile tire suggests 50 psi max. I go 53 on long trip, with no change in gas mileage. The BMW door jam suggest about 34. I just ignore it. Higher PSI provides better traction (imo). One time hitting a curb 3 mph head on with 51psi tire, it felt like a 1,000 pound diamond hitting a titanium curb. Bented a rim but does not shake.

Reply to
Koji San