Tire Pressure Question . . .

. . .with a tropical spin!

I was in the Cayman Islands and I rented a car just to be able to get away from the tourist zone a couple of times during the week.

Whenever I travel I tend to bring a tire gauge - even to check the pressures on a rental! Sure enough, the pressures on the car I had were between 5 & 6 lbs below the label on the door of my Suzuki Swift. When I asked the rental attendant if more air could be put in to bring it up to Suzuki's recommendation, here was his reply:

"I normally have my staff keep 28-29psi in all the cars because the ground is so hot down here that the higher pressures could warp the rims."

Well, this car had between 20-25psi in the tires, so I compromised, and went to a station and put 30psi all around, early in the morning. The handling isn't great, but it's better than where it was!

Folks - is this true - for tropical areas to lower the tire pressures a little to "preserve both tire & rim" due to the very high year round temps??

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

BTW the Swift calls for 33lbs in the tires. Sorry, should've mentioned that!

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

Hotter than Texas? Don't think so. Sidewall flexing (friction) causes heat. The more air the stiffer the sidewalls, the less the flexing. Set the air pressure to maximize tread contact with the ground.

Reply to
Paul

ChrisCoaster wrote in news:56d35b18-eaeb-49eb-a525- snipped-for-privacy@g1g2000vbr.googlegroups.com:

Overheating in tires is due to excessive sidewall flex, not excessive pressure.

Excessive sidewall flex is caused by /insufficient/ pressure. That's what caused all those Ford Explorer/Firestone problems a few years back. Remember that fiasco?

An any case, even if there should be any overheating, I imagine a 1/8" thick steel wheel rim would be the last thing to suffer damage from it.

Your car rental guy is operating with vastly incorrect information, incorrect enough to possibly put your safety at risk.

Reply to
Tegger

You're serious about this?? It's not an early April fools joke??

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I've heard a lot of silly tire pressure recommendations, but this is the silliest yet. Inflate the tire to the proper pressure after you ahve allowed them to cool down after driving (but at a normal ambient temperature). The tires are going to be rated to carry at least 36 pci (cold) and the rims are not an issue.

What might be an issue is tire bruising do to excessive tire pressure and bad roads. But as long as you keep the cold infaltion pressure in the proper range, I doubt this will be a problem.

Reply to
C. E. White

Amazing how people can be diametrically wrong with the best of intentions, isn't it?

Significantly low pressure might be helpful in "airing down" for driving in soft sand (unnecessary for off-roading on firmer terrain) but it must be done knowledgeably and the tires should be re-inflated to the proper value before going home on the highway.

Underinflation causes tires to heat up due to internal flexing. This is an especially bad combination with hot ambient temperatures, high speeds, and heavy loads, and it's actually possible to damage a tire that way, to an extent that can bite hard. (Remember the Ford Explorer/Firestone fiasco of several years ago; that's an extreme example of what can happen). Words of wisdom may be found on

and
If anything, the consistent high temperatures down in the islands should make it easier for the proprietor to choose and obtain the right pressure.

I doubt the rim really cares, as long as you don't pop the tire and drive around on the rim, but tire lifetime as well as safety can be seriously compromised by underinflation.

Cheers,

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

Agreed on all counts. I think the attendant just wanted to have a better sounding answer than "we never check the dang tire pressures until they look half flat," even though that's probably the truth.

Reply to
Steve

quoted text -

______________________ I kid you not.

I just nodded my head and said, "Oh, I never knew that!". Next morning I drove to the closest gasstation with air and pumped those things right up. Steering/handling went up too.

I went only to 30psi(even though 2005 Swift recommends 33psi) because I didn't want to be held liable for "warping his rims". LOLOLOL! Heck, they had only 25psi in them so what I put in had to help some.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

What Mr. Rental Car hadn't thought about was how many tires it was going to cost him to protect the wheels from whatever damage caused by overloaded micro-vehicles, bad roads and abusive drivers. Of course, in the Cayman's, you probably can't drive far enough at one stretch to really overheat tires like we do gere in the States. Overload is another story. AFAIK, most manufacturers including vehicle manufacturers still recommend using a higher inflation pressure for continuous high speeds.and/or heavier loads. This is to reduce sidewall flex and the heat generated by sidewall flex. If the weather is really hot, you would also want to maintain a higher inflation. If a tire is starting with under inflation, it may reach both higher temperatures and higher inflation pressure than it would have starting cold with more appropriated higher inflation pressure. With OEM recommended tires, it is safe to stay with the recommended pressure.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

ide quoted text -

_____________ Hey, the only person I don't agree with here is the agent who inspected the car with me and signed it off to me for 5 days.

Would he agree with any of you? Probably not.

The only way I can see how one of his cars got a "warped" rim was because he keeps his yard's tire pressures too low, and a tire burst during a rental and the rim spent too much time on the road or went off the road after the flat and hit a curb or rock or something.

BTW for anyone here who has driven Grand Cayman, I personally feel that the PSLs on their main roads seemed WAY too high - 40 in most spots, inluding West Bay road(parallel to 7 Mile Beach, and the loop around the East End, past Morrits Tortuga club and up to Rum Point. That's what most people were doing though - 35 to 40mph, so that says something about the CONSERVATIVEly set PSLs here in Uncle Sam's. Here, folks will do 40 whether the speed limit is 25, 30, or 40.

I'll bet there's no speeding tickets issued there - unless someone tries really hard(!), but making a right turn across West Bay Road anywhere from just north of Georgetown up till West Bay Town is a bee- yotch!! I mean, you're waitin' forever, remember, traffic closest to you approaches from your right, and traffic in the lane you are crossing over to approaches from your left. As soon as the right looks clear, a friggin freight train of cars approaches from your left. You're waiting five to ten minutes to make a right turn onto West Bay Road!!

I said screw it, so I turned left, headed north, then when traffic thinnned out I made a U-ey(illegal!), through the mutual turn lane in the middle, to my right to get going southbound towards G-town.

It was my first trip driving a RH steering wheel on a LH street, but I learned a lot.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster