Tire questions, 2nd try

I posted here a little over a week ago and have not received any responses, so I'm going to try again.

Fairly soon, I'm going to be getting new tires for my 1998 Saturn SW2 (the wagon version, for those who aren't familiar with the lettering system Saturn used to use). I have several questions that I would like to get answered here before I do that, though.

-- First, I wanted to ask about the (obviously non-OEM, cheap-o department store brand) tires currently on the vehicle. (I bought the car used a little less than a year ago, and these are what was on it at that point.) Does anybody know anything at all about the "Primera" or "Regul Select" brands of tires? I have Googled and Yahoo'ed in vain trying to find out about these. (It's got Primeras on the front and Reguls on the rear.)

-- Secondly, size does matter: at least the crap tires on there now are the OEM size, which is P185/65R15. I have done some playing around with tire calculators online, and it turns out that P215/50R16 is an almost exact match diameter-wise (it will keep the speedo, odometer, etc. within 0.04%, which is negligible). Aside from what I've already heard about wider, lower-series tires gripping better and giving a slightly rougher ride, and bearing in mind that I have had one P215/50R16 successfully fit-tested at a tire shop already, can anybody tell me what other pros and cons there are to P215/50R16 as opposed to P185/65R15?

-- Thirdly, does anybody have any particular recommendations in either size? It seems that P215/50R16 is an odd size and not too many tires are made in that size, but there are a few; I'm leaning toward the BFGoodrich Traction T/A with a V speed rating if I plus-size. If I stick to the OEM size, what brands/models would y'all recommend?

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Larry Harvilla

Indeed, size DOES matter... Especially the last number. (the radius of the rim's bead area/the radius of the hole in the middle of the tire that the rim goes into)

Aside from the problems/dangers inherent in trying (stress on the word "trying" - I doubt anybody would be able to get the bead to even PRETEND to seat due to the gap between the tire and the rim) to run a 16" tire on a 15" rim, you mean? Putting a tire with a smaller "R" number (like putting a 14" tire on your 15" rim) on it is possible, even if it's perhaps not the wisest idea in the world, but unless I've managed to misplace any concept of spatial relationships, putting a 16" tire on a

15" rim just ain't gonna work.

The 215/60R16 may indeed be close enough to interchangable with the

185/65R15 as far as rolling diameter, but only if you figure out a way to fill in an inch of gap between rubber and rim so you can blow them up to roll on them.
Reply to
Don Bruder

I figured it was blatantly obvious that getting 16" rims was part of the deal if I got P215/50R16 tires. Have I over-estimated the intelligence level of rec.autos.tech?

Reply to
Larry Harvilla

Does anybody know anything at all about the "Primera" or

I definitely found the Primeras and Reguls on a couple of sites. Primeras may be sourced by a company called Cavalier, but I would not venture a guess about quality, origin, etc.

According to the Tire Rack, this car was available with three different sized wheels..14,15,16 inchers. Is there some overpowering reason you want to buy new wheels to get 16 inch tires mounted? There are plenty of decent

15 inch tires.

But, yes, there is an indication that you can shift to a larger format, and your trial at the tire shop has shown you they will fit.

You will feel some differences between tires of different manufacturers, compounds, specifications. Some you may like better than others. When you read some of the reviews of various tires, you see some that the majority love but a few hate vehemently. I buy Michelins.

If you are going to make this change, I would recommend you have your suspension inspected, and any repairs made at this time, including alignment.

There are often complaints about tires and ride/handling on this group. There is no calculator that will predict whether you will like what you buy or not. Some tires are crap from the beginning. A worn suspension will make any car ride like a junkheap.

I would stick as close to the OEM sizes for that car as I could, whether they are 14, 15, or 16 inch rims. I would not buy a BF Goodrich or a Firestone tire unless they were the only things available, and I were stranded someplace. This is my own view based on very old experiences with these companies products. I have done well by avoiding them since those days.

Reply to
<HLS

Typically, the 50-series tires will be available in sportier models (better handling and braking, though with less tread wear and higher price) than the 65-series tires.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Do your observations apply to the parent/sister brands of these brands, namely Michelin/Uniroyal (BF Goodrich) and Bridgestone (Firestone)?

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

My observations are old, as are my prejudices.

I had problems with Firestone and Goodrich and would be hard pressed to try them again. Once (or a few times) burned, twice shy.

I used to like Goodyear, until I used up a set of expensive Eagles in 12000 miles. The tires just sucked. It had nothing to do with alignment, driving habits, or anything else except sucky tires.

I have never run Bridgestone but have considered them largely because of the excellent professionality they have demonstrated in F1 racing.

I have kept with Michelin over the last 20 years or so because they have given me excellent ride and tread life, good adhesion. I have no complaints with them. They have, except for the bobble last season, had good F1 credibility.

I used some house brand Discount Tire products at one time (Kelly Springfield rebrands) and they also gave surprisingly good results.

My opinions are just that. I tend to find something that works for me, and to stick with it until it stops working.

Reply to
<HLS