Tire Speed Rating, Load Index, & Service Descriptions (proof of truth)?

Q: What is the (public) proof we can trust any tire manufacturers' Speed Rating, Load Index, & Service Descriptions?

  1. I'm slightly familiar with the government mandated UTGQ Uniform Tire Quality Grade ratings.

My understanding is these test are performed the same for each tire; that there is a standard test which is applied to each tire; and that these ratings must be legally true (i.e., proof on public file, so to speak).

  1. I am barely familiar with automobile tire speed ratings.

My understanding is these ratings are not performed the same for each manufacturer; that these ratings do not have a standard test all manufacturers apply; that these ratings don't even have to be (legally) true.

  1. My question(s): Q: What is the (public) proof we can trust any tire manufacturers' Speed Rating, Load Index, & Service Descriptions?

Q: What is the (public) proof we can compare any two tires from different manufacturers (who may run different tests)?

Or, is there no proof; in that these manufacturer-supplied ratings are merely Marketing bull as 'techron' is to benzene (and are therefore meaningless from a tire-decision standpoint)?

Please advise (I have 8 tires to purchase this week), JOHN_+_GIANNI

Reply to
John Gianni