tires older than 6 years old could kill you

check the date of manufacture on your tires. If there is a number on a tire say 434 (the last number after a long list of numbers and letters) then the tire was manufactired in the 43rd week of 1994 if the number is 2505 then the tire was manufactured in the 25th week of

2005. According to ABC news 20/20 any tire older than 6 years old could separate and you could lose control of your vehicle and be killed.
boxing

On May 10, 3:38 am, snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net wrote: According to ABC news 20/20 any tire older than 6 years old

Maybe so. It is also my belief that any NEW tire could separate and kill you. Didn't some Chinese-built tires have a recall recently? Actually, I stopped believing in national news about the time when NBC did their show on the Chevy pickup tanks that explode every time they get hit in the side. (For you guys with short memories, this is where NBC actually staged these explosions with a little help from Estes toy rocket engines) Let see now. I also remember when CBS's Dan Blather read the military review on George Bush that turned out to be a hilarious hoax. I'm not sure what ABC has pulled and really don't care.

BTW, were there any tire advertisements during this show? Think about it..........

Reply to
Kruse

I think that tire mfgrs. actually do recommend time-based replacement at the 6-10 year mark, but I've never had a set last that long. now there are some tires on the truck that were on it when I bought it; no idea how old those are but it doesn't get driven much, or particularly fast. If I were to go on a long trip with a load, I might consider replacing them.

Also, buying tires from recognized brands (right now, I've got Yokohamas on the Porsche, Michelins on the truck, and Dunlop snow tires on the extra Porsche rims) is never a bad plan. yes, I do recall the Chinese tire thing, I think it was a missing bonding strip or something? But I remember when I read the article that it seemed like these were only sold as off-brands.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Where does that six year number come from? Somebody just pulled it out of a hat, that's where.

I have seen tread separation on tires that were poorly stored, in much less than six years. I have also seen tires much older with no separation issues.

What you want to see is a plot of the separation incident rate versus the age of the tires so you can make an informed decision for yourself rather than just taking a scalar number from a reporter.

In addition, if you are driving older tires, or even if you are driving brand new tires, you should inspect your tires whenever you check the air pressure, which should be pretty often. Pay attention to how the car drives. Often with tire problems you will get a good bit of warning that something is wrong, but too many drivers just ignore the signs and keep driving.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The only tire I've ever had that self destructed spectacularly was relatively new. Probably about 3 or 4 years old with about 30K miles on it. It did so at 70 MPH on an SUV. It didn't kill me. In fact, it wasn't that big a deal to pull over onto the shoulder.

Sure, an old tire may be more likely to blow out than a new one. But if you don't panic, its no big deal. So I'm going to run them down to minimum tread depth. As long as I keep them properly inflated and rotated and check them for bumps, I don't care how old they get.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

That show is long decoding tire manufacture date and woefully short on information actually showing a correlation between age and dangerous deterioration. It's sensationalist reporting that I would expect to see on the cover of a National Enquirer and not from ABC News.

Reply to
John S.

Does n/m stand for Not Mature? Just a guess...

Reply to
John S.

Are they exploding tyres made with gunpowder impregnated into the rubber?

8-)

Craig.

Reply to
Saab C900 Viggenist

Those old Maypop (there actually is a used tires place near me and they used to have a big sign there which said Maypop Used Tires) tires on my van must have been older than sin untill I finally broke down and I bought a new set of Cooper tires.Those Cooper tires will probally outlast me now, because I hardly ever drive anywhere anymore.I would never buy any tires made in China. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

After having posted a message with no content and reading your response it would appear both Not Mature and No Message still apply.

Reply to
John S.