to learn more about car mechanics?

Hi,

For a long time now I've been wanting to learn more about car mechanics. The best way of learning is practice so I was thinking of buying an older convertible (in need of TLC) and doing it up. I envisage striping to components and re-building, which I realise will take quite a while.

Do people have suggestions about which vehicles would be fairly easy for a newbie to work on. Ideally I'm after something that a. will be fun to drive once it's done up; b. might give a reasonable(ish?) return if I decide to sell; c. will have cheap and easily obtainable parts. What else should I consider? I'm in the UK, if that makes an difference.

Cheers and TIA

Reply to
Rob Campbell

In my opinion, auto mechanics has become a specialty. Do you want to do body work, transmission work, engine work or what? Being able to "do it all" is highly unlikely as a hobbyist.

For a fun and learning project (here in the U.S.A.) I would start with something small like a volkswagon bug. They are easy to work on, parts are readily available and parts are low priced. They are also adaptable to make different things out of. For Instance: Dune Buggy, Baja Bug, or anything else the mind can dream up. They are fun to drive, easy to tow, light weight, good gas mileage and many other advantages.

OR! Start with a motorcycle or ATV if you want to learn basic mechanical skills.

Good luck!

Hank

Reply to
ninebal310

I'd say engine and maybe transmission. I was thinking of leaving the bodywork to someone else or paying for that to be done. I'm fairly handy but I'm not so good at making things pretty.

Reply to
Rob Campbell

I disagree. A hobbyist is the ONLY one who is going to "do it all." Professional mechanics are steadily getting more highly specialized and modern cars are highly complex, but the fun of the hobby is learning and doing as much as you can. And older "hobby" cars are very amenable to this too. I've proven to myself that I have *zero* talent for paint and body, but I'll do anything else on a project car.

As for picking a car- an older (pre-75) midsize from any of the Big 3 is a good choice. Parts are still widely available, and are really inexpensive compared to modern car parts. There are smaller plusses and minuses depending on model. Popular coupes are better supported by the aftermarket than are big 4-doors, but the purchase price is also higher. You can practically build a complete Mustang, Firebird, or Barracuda out of mail-order parts, but then just to get a restoration-ready shell of a car will set you back a ton of money for those models. Ideally, go for a low-trim-level version of a car that is popular in a high trim level or sport model and you get the best of both worlds in a way- lower purchase price, but virtually all of the parts for the higher trim level will bolt on. An example would be a Plymouth Satellite instead of a Roadrunner, or an Olds Cutlass instead of a 442.

Reply to
Steve